Chapter 22: Hermione finds out, Hermione finds out

The DA's first meeting, quidditch and our little detective has finally solved the mystery.

“Have you seen this?” Harry looked up from his toast, he was thinking about his and Tom’s latest secret rendezvous, Tom was so romantic. Hermione was holding The Daily Prophet, it must have been the issue from last month  about the whole high inquisitor thing since Umbridge was on the cover;

“No, why what is it?”

“She’s created a new decree! ‘All student groups are to be henceforth disbanded, to reform a group please speak with the high inquisitor’ it’s utter-”

“Language-” Ron joked, mouth half stuffed with bacon.

“So she knows then?”

“She must know! Why else would she disband the clubs?! The real question is, how? I would know if someone betrayed us,"

“Well we’ll just have to continue forward with caution, make sure everyone knows, the club is still on!”

*

Later on in the day, Hermione was talking with the boys in their room, she noticed a magazine and vaguely remembered that she had misplaced the copy of Witch Weekly she borrowed from Lavender. Assuming that this was the magazine she was looking for, she took it with her when she left the room. She had, of course, forgotten that Lavender had never lent her the magazine. She saw it on the other girl’s bed and skimmed through it. It was an update on the health of Gilderoy Lockhart, he may have been a fraud but she was no monster, her friends had caused this and she made sure to send yearly letters of apologies.

*

It was a quiet morning. Tom and Harry were spending some time together in the room of requirement, and that was when it hit them.

“We could do the club here! God how could I be so stupid,” Harry announced out of the blue,

“Of course, why didn’t we think of that,”

“Well, it’s been quite nice having this as our spot,” Harry smiled, giving Tom a peck on the cheek. The room was currently a library crossed with a living room, They would sit together and get up to find a new book every so often. It was cute and they loved spending time together like this, even if they couldn’t do it very often.

They managed to let people know throughout the day and used Hermione’s coins to set up a time to meet. 8:00 pm sharp.

*

“Alright everyone, today we’re learning expelliarmus!”

“That's a first-year spell, we don’t need to know that,” Zacharias Smith scowled,

“If you don’t know basic spells how will you ever learn the advanced ones,” Tom piped up from where he had been standing ominously in the corner. Well, maybe that wasn’t the correct phrasing, more like standing normally but somehow giving a subtle energy of ‘ don’t fuck with me ‘.

All in all, after that brief hiccup, the first meeting of their club went well, and even Neville was showing some improvement.

“I’ve been thinking,” Hermione announced out of the blue, they were taking a final break, giving tips and sharing accomplishments: “We need a name,”

“I thought we were just calling it defence club?”

“Don’t be stupid Ron, we’d be found out straight away,” Ginny pointed out.

“We could call it The Defensive Army Against Magical Attacks, or D.A.A.M.A for short.”

“That's a bit long don’t you think?”