chapter 3 Harry is the bane of Tom's existence

Notes:
Wow! Wasn’t expecting this story to gain so much attention overnight. Will try to keep churning out chapters for as long as I can :D

He wasn’t too surprised that he had been sorted into Slytherin. Without Ron or Hermione in Gryffindor, there was no reason for Harry to convince the hat otherwise.

He felt eyes staring at him from every angle. Especially the table that he was heading towards. They didn’t know his surname, they thought he was a muggleborn. He would have to explain that one away if he was going to be in Slytherin.

As he sat down at the table on the far right of the hall, he desperately tried to avoid eye contact with his peers.

”Are you a mudblood?” A boy who reminded him of Lucius Malfoy asked. Harry had to hide a cringe when he used the slur.

”Halfblood, actually, my mum was a muggle and my dad was a wizard, he left before I was born so I got my mum’s surname.” He wondered, if he stayed in this time, if in the future Lily Evans would be asked if she had any relation to Harry Evans. Because of Harry’s sob story about his imaginary mother being a muggle, she might spend ages looking to see if they were related. She would never know for sure.

”I thought you were homeschooled? You can’t be homeschooled by a muggle,” Merlin that guy sounded posh,

”She-uh, she left me with some wizards that she’d known through my father, when she didn’t want to deal with me anymore,” he paused for a moment to think, “They’re dead now though, that’s why I’m here,”. For minutes after that, an awkward silence stood in the air. At least nobody would ask him questions, the poor halfblood boy who’s had a tragic life.

*

After dinner, Harry followed the blonde (who he now knew was Abraxas Malfoy) and some other fifth years down to the dungeons. Riddle was leading the first years, but it seemed awkward to have to follow around a gaggle of eleven year-olds.

However there was no avoiding it when they got into the common room, he had to stand with the first years as they were told the basic rules and expectations for Slytherin house.

After that, though, he made his way to the fifth years boy’s room. There he became acquainted with several others in his year. There was Orion Black who was the father of Sirius, he surprisingly was also quite like Sirius in different ways. That was one person he was going to miss here, Sirius. There was also a Theodore Nott, obviously that family had something for naming people after people - he was sure that his time’s Theodore’s father was also named that.

So it was him, Riddle, Abraxas, Orion and Theodore in the one dorm. This might be interesting.

* (Tom POV) (next day)

Evans is a very confusing person. That was what Tom had concluded from his sleuthing so far. In the classes they had had so far he seemed quite capable, but for someone who’s legal guardians had just passed away. He seemed very happy. Overly happy. That was why Tom followed him to the owlery, to see what he was up to.

Having arrived at the owlery, Evans proceeded to go straight to a snowy owl, which the boy had named Hedwig.

It irritated Tom. How the boy could be so suspicious, yet seemingly have nothing to hide.

*

By the end of the week Tom was fuming. Evans has no respect for him. In potions he had the nerve to give him a look that could only be described as ‘really’ when Tom mentioned some things to Slughorn.

Tom was really trying not to let this new nuisance get in the way of his plans, if he became a problem he’d deal with him. For now he would have to live with the fact that this boy was not going anywhere.

* (Harry POV)

It had been a week and he hadn’t found anything in the school library that would explain why he had suddenly woken up a little over fifty years in the past. He really only had one option left before he would just have to suck it up and ask younger Dumbledore for help. He was going to sneak into the restricted section.

If he was being honest, some of this was Dumbledore’s fault. If he hadn’t been so careless in the way that he told everyone how Cedric died, then Harry wouldn’t be labelled crazy and he wouldn’t have wished he could be somewhere like here.

Harry still had his invisibility cloak with him, all he had to do was wait ‘till everyone was asleep.

*

He snuck down to the library, careful not to trip and make any noise. He hadn’t met the current caretaker of the school, but he didn’t doubt they’d be as ruthless (if not more ruthless) as Filch.

When he reached it, he edged quietly over to the rope that separated the normal and restricted section. Crouching, he crawled under the rope.

After briefly checking that the coast was clear, he really should have brought the Marauder’s Map instead of leaving it in his trunk, he removed his invisibility cloak and began searching for something on time travel, the only light in the room coming from his wand.

Harry wasn’t aware of the figure approaching behind him as he grabbed a book titled ‘Time, it works in strange ways’.

”I knew you were up to something, Evans,”