Chapter 11:Ryan Meets Atlas

Fountaine's Home for the Poor, 3:00 am:

Hidden underneath the home for the poor was Atlas' base. There Atlas currently was in a meeting for the latest attack towards Andrew Ryan. Atlas was a fairly strong and handsome man, opening his mouth he spoke with a thick Irish accent. "Andrew Ryan, right now he has the upper hand, but if we attack his Little Sisters and gather enough Adam we can beat him at his own game." The crowd he was speaking to shifted and murmured in agreement. "Do we... have to kill them?" asked a voice. 

Atlas turned his head and smiled "Hello Diana... unfortunately we have no choice if we want to defeat Andrew." Diana stepped forward, her face was shown, it was distorted, ugly, it was a reminder of a horrible and grim deed that temptation led to. "There is another way." She said, "What do you suggest?" He asked. "We can try and talk to them." The crowd stared for several seconds before bursting into laughter. "Yeah, right! That's not possible, either the girl runs away or her Metal Daddy kills us!" One of them laughed. "True, but I know somebody who can." She said, holding firm. The crowd ceased their laughter. "Who?" Atlas asked curiously.

Upper Atrium, 4:00 am:

Ryan couldn't sleep, he had been pacing back and forth his room trying to tire himself out. He felt like he'd drunken coffee, even though he'd never touched the stuff before in his life. "Ryan... Ryan, its me. Can you come out for a second?" A voice asked kindly. Looking through the tunnel in the safety of his hidey-hole he asked back "Who is me?" "Diane McClintock." she answered, paranoia being the best policy so far Ryan demanded "Prove it, prove you're Diane." "Alright. I was going to an appointment with Doctor Steinman when I bumped into you, you were being escorted by a Rosie, you offered to escort me, and I gave you some money which you didn't take until I insisted." She said, 'Okay. That's enough to take a look I suppose.' Ryan decided as he carefully left his room and poked his head out. He had to bite his cheek so as to not scream in horror. It was Diane alright, but her face was... He couldn't describe how horrible it was.

She must have seen him wince because she asked, "Are you alright?" "Fine! I mean, i'm okay, I uh... banged my knee on the pipe." He hastily lied. She aww'd and helped him out before patting his head. "Thank you, now come on, before Ryan catches either one of us." She said, grabbing him and giving him a piggy-back ride. "Where are we going?" He asked, only for Diane to shush him. It took an hour or so to get there. 

When they reached a building she set Ryan down and took a sash she had wrapped around her waist off and said. "I'm going to have to blindfold you." "What? But-but what if there are Splicers in there?" Ryan panicked. "Don't worry, I'll protect you, I promise." She said soothingly. Against his better judgement and every one of his instincts screaming "NO!" Ryan let Diane blindfold him. He felt her taking his hand and pulling him to who knows where.

 There was one point where they went down a ramp, as they did he heard whispers. "Look... is that?" "So it's not a myth, there is such a thing as a Little Brother" Ryan felt himself being sat down before the blindfold came off. Blinking a bit at the sudden rush of light Ryan tensed in fear and surprise.

There were Thuggish and Leadhead Splicers surrounding him, looking around a bit more he saw there were more people. The rest of them were starting to splice but not enough to look inhuman, they still looked like people, mostly... Sitting in a desk in front of him was a man Ryan had only seen on posters. He gave Ryan a smile, his hand in his pocket, it made Ryan nervous. "Want a candy bar?" The man offered, taking his hand out of his pocket showing the treat. "No, thank you" Ryan said politely but quickly, his eyes darting around. "Fine, suit yourself," Atlas said, setting the candy bar down, "I guess I was wrong, I thought there was no such thing as a Little Brother, I'm glad Diane was right about you." "What do you want?" Ryan said nervously, he didn't like the looks the splicers were giving him. 

He was feeling confined, trapped, and the panic was setting in. The older man laughed as he saw how the boy was acting. "Don't worry about them, they're not going to hurt you. We need you, and if you cooperate no Little Sister or Big Daddy will be harmed, ever again." Listening to that was music to Ryan's ears, he had to make sure he heard him right "Are you serious?" "Of course, plus as an added bonus, when we remove Ryan from Rapture, hows about being my business partner... no, maybe not yet, maybe an apprentice, until you're of age?" He said the last part mostly to himself, seeing how young Ryan was.

That was the greatest news Ryan had ever heard. Seeing the boy's eyes light up he smiled, getting up from the chair, and walked over to Ryan. Extending his arm to shake he introduced himself "My name is Atlas in case you didn't know. I would like to know the name of my future apprentice." Ryan looked into his eyes as he reached his hand out, he was going to shake his hand but he stopped, something about Atlas' eyes, or maybe the way he was staring at him made his mind scream "Bad! No!" "Ryan Andrew." He said in a tiny voice lowering his sight, and hand. "Ryan...what's wrong?" Atlas asked.

 "I... can you please give me a moment to think about it?" Ryan asked, once again nervous. Withdrawing his hand Atlas said "Very well." He walked over to a table and grabbed a cloth before pouring some liquid onto it... alcohol maybe? "Just so you know Ryan... my offer is always open." All of a sudden Atlas attacked Ryan, covering his mouth with the cloth, suffocating him. Ryan fought for a few seconds, but his mind was slipping away, everything grew hazy until he felt his body grow limp. Everything went dark a second later....

Upper atrium, 8:00 am:

Ryan yawned, opening his eyes. He saw he was laying next to his hidey-hole. How did he get out here? Checking himself over he found no scratches or any signs that he had been hurt in any way. Was it all a dream? "Ryan... I repeat, Little Brother Ryan, report to Andrew Ryan's office immediately!" He heard the intercom next to his hidey-hole say. 'Great, what does he want?' Ryan thought angrily as he got up and made his way to Andrew Ryan Industries.

To Be Continued...