Chapter 22: Discoveries

Smugglers hideout, Rapture: 5:00 A.M.

It was very early, he knew that nobody in the Rapture family was awake. Despite how tired he was Ryan knew he had to explore. He needed more than anything to know the terrain so he wouldn't get caught off guard, so he would be ready for any attack. Using his new found ability he was jumping from place to place, a bag held securely in his right hand. It was a messenger bag, made out of leather. (or maybe pleather? He could never tell the difference) It was empty now, but who knew? Maybe he could find something useful here. Back when he was a Little Brother he often saw people coming in and out with crates in their hands. One time in particular one of the crates broke while being moved. The adults argued over it for hours until the bell rang announcing the end of their shift.

Once they were gone Ryan decided to peek inside of the crate to see what the adults were arguing about. Inside he found a bunch of neat things he had never seen before, like round things that you play in a projector... movies, he remembered they were called. Books were also prominent in the crate. Looking over them he found they were different, some were fairy tales, called The Brothers Grimm Collection, the other books were of math, biology and geography.

Ryan took them, and in his time off he read them, learning, finding out how things worked in the real world. Thanks to that knowledge, and a generous dash of common sense, Ryan learned how to survive Rapture, but it also made him a prime target. also thanks to that knowledge he survived when Andrew Ryan sent people after him, offered huge rewards for the Little Brother's head, but that crackpot Russian never got his hands on Ryan, no matter how many Splicers Andrew sent his way, he always got away.

Sometimes just barely.

Pushing away the horrible memories he made his way through the smugglers hideout. Finding various crates he pried them open easily and looked inside. Books were the most common thing in this crate, taking one Ryan opened it and looked inside. It was filled with beautiful paintings of places with grass, flowers, trees, and a round orb of light. Touching the page with an armoured hand he touched the ball of light, the book was written in a language he couldn't understand, but somehow he still knew what the ball was. "The Sun..." he muttered to himself. Closing the book Ryan decided to take it, searching through more of it he found a few dolls.

They were different then any doll he had ever seen, no bigger than seven inches. These dolls had weird dresses on with huge sleeves, big extravagant hairstyles and their skin was as white as snow. It didn't matter to him though, a doll was a doll, whether plastic or cloth. So Ryan stuffed them into his bag, perhaps the Sisters would enjoy them. Ryan continued to look and take things, the things he took were a few records of music...for Gracie whom he found out that she was the one who found him and everything that could be classified as a child's toy. Any and all playthings the Sisters had were made by their own hand, usually Big Daddy dolls.

Looking in the very bottom of the crate Ryan even found a box with a tea set inside it. The set actually looked rather manly, the kettle and four additional cups were gun metal Grey. There were at least thirty different kinds of tea in a box next to the kettle also. Unfortunately giving caffeine to Little Sisters was a very bad idea. He didn't even want to think about the one time a Little Sister got her hands on some drink the adults called 'coffee'. Plus, this was ordered by Lamb, so if he gave this to the Sisters, even without the tea, she would know he stole this stuff, as opposed to a passing Splicer thinking there may be a bit of Adam within them.