Chapter 20

Alastor's POV: 

 As I work through my paperwork, I glance over to see my daughter lounging on the couch with her "hellphone." I'm not a fan of those devices, but she claims Angel gave it to her, so they stay in touch. Ever since she confided in me about Angel's sudden changes, I can't shake this feeling that something's off about his behavior. He's transformed so much, and I'm beginning to think he might have the information I need about the rumors that are going around. There's just this weird feeling that something isn't right, though I can't quite put my finger on it. After a deep sigh, my sudden movement catches my daughter's attention. 

 "Dad, are you okay?" Her voice is filled with concern for me. It's kind of heartwarming that she's worried about me, even though I don't really deserve that much concern.

 "Don't worry, sweetheart. Just a little tired. You can go back to what you were doing. Sorry if I'm interrupting you," I reassure her, trying to let her know that I appreciate her concern.

 "Dad, you don't have to say sorry. You're not doing anything wrong," she says, coming closer and leaning her head against mine as she hugs my shoulder. "And seriously, you need to take a break. Even though you're an overlord, you still need to rest and take it easy sometimes." 

"You're right, dear. A break sounds like a good plan." I look at her and ask, "Any ideas on what we could do to relax?" My eyes stay on her as she moves away slightly, putting a finger on her chin and closing her eyes as she thinks. 

 "How about taking a day off tomorrow?" she suggests, playfully tapping the table. I reach for her hand to check if she's okay, and she giggles when she notices my concern. 

"What should we do on our day off?" I wonder, still holding onto her hand before meeting her gaze. 

 "Let's go for a walk in the garden, sit on one of the benches at the mansion, have a picnic. We used to do that a lot, but it's been forever. And maybe we can even go up to the roof, look at the sky, and, just for fun, pretend to 'torture' some random sinner, like we used to joke about," she suggests, reminiscing about things we did back when we were alive, although the idea of 'torture' is new. 

"That's a great idea, sweetheart. Although the 'torture' part is a bit different," I comment, smiling at her. "But it could be a nice change, and I'm curious to see how you handle this playful 'torture' concept." We share a moment, locked in each other's gaze, not noticing Charlie and Vaggie entering the room, both looking surprised. 

Charlie and Vaggie stand in the doorway, their surprised expressions making us finally realize we're not alone. Charlie's throat clears with a loud cough, breaking our momentary trance.

 "Ahem, sorry to interrupt," Charlie says with a nervous chuckle, shifting her gaze between us.

 "We didn't mean to barge in."I give a small smile and nod, "No need to apologize, my dear Charlie. We were just caught up in our conversation."Vaggie chimes in.

"Yeah, well, maybe next time we will knock louder so you both will be able to actually hear us coming."Charlie elbows Vaggie lightly, giving her a glance that hints at keeping her jealousy in check. It's intriguing how our father-daughter bond elicits this reaction from her. Nevertheless, I maintain my composure. 

"Understood. We'll make sure to announce our presence more clearly next time," Charlie says, her smile slightly forced. Vaggie clears her throat, bringing attention to herself. 

"Actually, speaking of presence, don't you think it's time to address the rumors circulating in Hell? People are starting to talk, and it might affect the hotel's reputation."I raise an eyebrow in curiosity.