Chapter 23

I was peacefully sleeping until I heard a sudden knock at my door. Anyway, who would knock at this early hour? I decided to ignore it, putting one of my pillows over each ear, attempting to get back to sleep. However, it seemed this person didn't get the signs because, before I knew it, I heard a crash at my door.

"RISE AND SHINE, DARLING! IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP!!!" my dad dramatically announced as he made his entrance through my now broken door.

"DAD, WHAT THE HELL? YOU JUST BROKE MY DOOR!" I yelled at him, throwing one of my pillows in his direction. Of course, he dodged it, looking at me and snapping his fingers.

"Language, darling," he reminded me.

"Oh, I forgot that you can do that," I said, landing myself back on my bed while staring at the ceiling.

"Darling, what's with that face?" he baby-talked me.

"You just disturbed my beauty sleep, and you're asking me what's wrong?" I replied, giving him a 'are you kidding me?' look.

"I guess it just won't do, but don't worry, I will fix that," he said in a playful way. Wait, what? "Fix it?" I looked at him in wide-eyed panic.

"No way, please no," I said, using one of my pillows as a shield.

"Too late, my dear. Face the wrath of the claw," he said, raising his hand ready to attack.

"Hahahaha, please, Dad, don't tickle me," I laughed, trying to beg him to stop the impending tickle torture.

"I don't think so," he declared, continuing to tickle me.

"Hahahahaha, okay, fine, hahahahaha," I begged again.

"Let me think about it," he stopped and looked at me.

"Now what?" I asked, awaiting his answer as o catch my breath

"No," he said, going back to tickling me.

"Hahahhahahahaha, stop, hahahaha, help, hahahahaha, me," I pleaded, looking for someone to rescue me.

"No one is going to help you now, darling," he said, still tickling me as I tried to escape his clutches.

"Oh, come on, Al, give her a break, would you?" someone said. We both looked towards the doorway, and there was Uncle Husk, leaning against the doorframe.

"Oh, Uncle Husk, you're a lifesaver," I exclaimed, trying to catch my breath as get up from the bed to escape.

"Husker, you're no fun," my dad complained, looking hurt. "By the way, what's the matter?"

"Charlie asked me a favor to fetch you two idiots here and to tell you that breakfast is ready," Uncle Husk explained, walking out the door with a beer in hand.

"No doubt about it, that's our grumpy Husk, as always," my dad remarked, standing up and fixing his clothes while looking at me.

"What?" I asked curiously, feeling like I was being scrutinized as if I did something wrong.

"Aren't you getting ready for the day?" he inquired, walking into my walk-in closet and grabbing some random clothes for me to wear.

"What's the point? There's nothing to do here," I replied, bored with my seemingly uneventful life.

"What do you mean, nothing to do?" he questioned, still browsing my closet.

"Oh, come on. All I did was design here and there. I already finished the things that Charlie asked me to do last week, so there's nothing for me to do," I explained while poking one of my stuffed animals.