Chapter 17

Entering into the house and seeing his cousin's car parked in the driveway only meant one thing, Dimitri was back and so was Cara.

He had missed her, she'd only been gone for a day and half but he had missed her greatly, he didn't want her to go with Dimitri initially but he had no choice

Ever since the incident about a week ago, he'd been weary about leaving her and his cousin alone, especially after the threat Dimitri threw at him about having his way with her.

He rushed inside the house and went straight to his room to look for her but to his utmost surprise she wasn't there, not in bathroom or walk in closet.

He quickly got out back, he was tempted to go ask his cousin but he didn't want them to have another fight so soon, he knew Dimitri's patient was running thin, so he had to ease up on the amount of arguments they had daily.

One thing kept ringing in his mind tho, if she wasn't in the room then she'd definitely be in the basement but why there?
Only one answer, Dimitri

He breathe out before walking towards the basement in search of her, he stopped in front of the door and from outside he could hear her light whimpers, he became alarmed and he quickly opened the door, he walked into the dark room and found her sprawled on the floor, she was dressed in a red gown that looked so beautiful on her.

Even though she'd rumpled it, her hair looked like it had been curled, but her dress and parts of her face was covered in blood, whose blood?

And she was crying, did Dimitri hurt her in any way?
He rushed forward and crouched in front of her, inspecting her body.

After checking and finding nothing he looked at her "Cara what happened"? He asked with concern, she didn't say anything she just kept crying.

She'd missed him greatly, she didn't realize she could miss someone so much, someone she met in this God awful place, but she'd missed Ivan

Seeing him only made her more emotional, why couldn't Dimitri be like him?

"Cara, are you hurt? Did anyone hurt you"? He asked cupping her face but she just shook her head with tears still streaming down her face

"Who's blood is this and why are you crying"? he asked dreading her answer, he hoped Dimitri hadn't done anything to her.

"He killed her" she croaked out the image of the lady lying dead invaded her mind, she couldn't blink without seeing it

"Who killed who Cara"? Ivan asked with concern, he can't understand if she doesn't tell him

"Dimitri, he killed her" she croaked choking on sobs, she wished she hadn't gone to the ball at all. Maybe he wouldn't have had to kill anyone or have her watch while he did

"Who did he kill"? He pressed

"A woman at the ball, she came to save me, Enzo sent her and Dimitri shot her" she tried to explain as best she could, for she didn't even want to remember the incident

Realization dawned on Ivan, now he knew the blood on her didn't belong to her but whoever Dimitri had shot.

"It's all my fault Ivan" she cried harder, her mascara staining her whole face, he shushed her and pulled her closer to his chest as he rocked her.

He hated seeing her cry even if it was just a drop, he didn't like seeing her tears stained face

"It's not your fault Cara, stop crying" he cooed at her stroking her soft hair gently, she was hiccuping already