Prologue

Alright, let's clear this up: my Name's Nova. I'm only thirteen. I live in a supernatural world where everyone has some sort of power. Only one in five thousand people is actually normal. Nowadays, no one was regular. And if you were, the Government would kill you. The Government runs our society. They make the rules, they enforce the rules, they decided who and what is dangerous. And what powers were dangerous. I always promised myself over and over again that if I ever came into contact with someone who had a power labeled as dangerous, I would report them to the Government right away.

Now that we've got the introduction out of the way, I can tell you what's happening. I'm at school. I know, boring. But I've got to come here. Sometimes, it's not so bad. Right now I'm in history, and we're learning about the different supernatural powers we could have soon. Yeah, if you don't get your power by the time you are fourteen, the Government labels you as an Impota and kills you.

For those of you who don't know, an Impota is a person with no supernatural ability. A Normal, as I like to say.

I am thrown out of my thoughts by a voice saying my name.

"Nova? Do you know the answer?" Mr. Brown asked. Mr. Brown is my history teacher. He was usually pretty mean.

I look around the room, hoping to find out what the question is. When I find nothing, I say "can you please repeat the question?"

He says "what is it called when a person has the ability to control the four main elements?" He looks at me with an expectant look.

I take a deep breath. I know that a person who controls water has Hydrokinesis, a person who controls fire has Pyrokinesis, someone who controls air has Aerokinesis, and someone who controls Earth has Geokinesis. What was the combination? I take a deep breath and say "umm, Hydrokinetic?"

He shakes his head and says "that's water. I asked you about fire, water, air, and Earth."

I say "what if I can name the four of those?" I know the four of them, I just don't know the combination.

He says "I'll give you a bonus point if you name them all, but you still have to tell me what a person is if they control all four."

I sigh and say "fire is Pyrokinesis, air is Aerokinesis, water is Hydrokinesis, and Earth is Geokinesis."

He says "very good. Now, what is it called when a person controls all four?"

I think back to the rest of them. Atmokinesis? I think that's it. I ask "is it Atmokinesis?"

He says "no, that is controlling the atmosphere. But it is close. Atmoskinesis."

I say "close enough, I forgot to add the s."

He says "but instead, you gave me an entirely different power. People who have Atmokinesis are much more common than people with Atmoskinesis. No one has Atmoskinesis in over three hundred years, and someone with Atmokinesis is probably sitting in this room right now."

I sigh and say "isn't Atmoskinesis the most uncommon power?"

He nods and says "it is very, very rarely that someone is born with the power to control all of the elements. No one has had that power in a long, long time. And no one probably ever will again."

I sit back in my chair and look over at my best friend, Finn. Yeah, my best friend is a dude. Don't judge. It's not weird. We're just friends.

Finn looks at me with a mischievous grin on his face. He whispers "look at the door."

I turn to look at the door to the classroom. It was slowly opening and shutting, all by itself. I look back over at Finn, and he is pointing his index finger at the door, slowly moving it left and right, and the door follows his finger.