Chapter 18

I say "let's start."

The man nods and says "so this is the fabled Super Nova?"

Cecily says "we hope."

He turns to me and says "I'm Felix."

I nod and say "I'd introduce myself, but you already know my name."

He nods and says "alright Cecily, lead these other children out of here. I need to work with Super Nova."

Cecily leads the others out.

I say "it's just Nova."

He says "not if this works."

I say "I will not respond to Super Nova."

He says "you'll grow used to it."

I say "my name is Nova, and only Nova. You got that?"

He says "if you develop all the powers people here might just start calling you Queen Super Nova."

I say "you're really making me mad."

He says "good. That's the plan. Channel that anger. Focus the emotion on the light. Focus on turning it off."

I close my eyes and focus on channeling my emotions into the light.

He says "send all your emotions into the light. Then tell it that you're in charge, and turn it off."

I focus on sending every emotion I have into the light.

I'm in charge now.

Suddenly, the lights go out.

He says "oh my."

I say "power outage?"

He says "you did it!"

I say "I did?!"

He says "turn it back on."

I close my eyes again and focus on turning the light on. And it turns on.

He says "oh my god."

I say "did I do it wrong or something?"

He says "no you, you did it. You've given yourself Photokinesis. Now you have to master it. Keep doing it."

I focus on turning off the lights, and they turn off. I focus on powering them on again, and they turn on.

He makes me do that for an hour, then he says "it won't be as easy for your friends. The amount of powers you already have makes it easier. You must really by our Super Nova."

I say "never call me that."

He says "I'll try."

I put my hand out, and a fire hits the floor right next to him.

I say "you won't try, you will."

He nods and says "you must be the one we've been looking for all along. Nova, it's you."

I nod and say "can I go now? I'm exhausted."

He nods and says "be back in here at ten o'clock tomorrow morning. You got that?"

I nod and say "got it."

He leads me to a room, with three beds, a couch, and a TV. Ace was sitting on one bed, Blaire on another, and Finn on the last one.

I say "hey guys."

Finn says "that was quick."

I nod and say "well it's pretty easy because I have three other powers. I already finished this one."

Blaire says "really?!"

I nod and say "yeah, really."

Ace says "show us."

I focus on shutting off the lights, and they all turn off. I focus on turning them on, and they turn back on.

Finn says "Blaire, was that you?"

Blaire says "nope, all her."

Ace says "that was fast."

I nod.

Blaire says "in case you were wondering why there are only three beds, it's because you get your own room."

I say "huh?"

Finn says "they're going to treat you like a queen. These people are going to worship you. They think you can do it. They think you're the one they've been looking for."

I say "I'm starting to think I might be the one they're looking for, too."

Finn says "you probably are. You learned Photokinesis in an hour."

I say "so, where's this room of mine? I'm exhausted."

Blaire points to a door across the room labeled Nova.

I walk over to the door and open it.

When I step inside of the room, it's amazing. There is a large bed, a huge flat-screen television, a stocked closet, a ceiling fan, and a fire place.

I say "oh my god."

Blaire looks over my shoulder and says "why does she get the big room? I vote we share it."

Finn says "Nova's going to be working really hard. She deserves it. Plus, they won't let anyone else have it. She's practically their queen now."

I say "can we please stop calling me their queen? I'm not gonna be anyone's queen."

Ace says "Queen Nova. I like it."

I say "well I don't. I'm gonna take a nap, wake me for dinner."

They all nod and I shut the door and lie on the bed. I instantly fall asleep.

2IL