Chapter 13

As soon as I'm far enough from them that I know they can't hear me, I sit on the ground and start to cry. I cried because I wrecked my life and my friend's lives, I cried because I lost my family, I cried because we were four fourteen year olds living in the woods, I cried because of my new stupid powers, I cried for everything. I hardly even thought about what Finn said.

After what felt like hours, I heard movement. It sounded like a person, but I wasn't sure.

I silently stood up and started walking back. The sound followed me. I say "Ace? Finn? Blaire?"

No response.

I continue to back away until I back into a tree. Thinking it was a person, I scream. Suddenly, a dog jumps at me from the bushes. Not a dog, a wolf.

I try to smack it away, but it bites my hand.

I scream "HELP!" I hear things running towards me. Hoping it was my friends, I swat at the wolf again. It bites my wrist.

Suddenly another wolf jumps over my head and tackles it to the ground. Something grabs my arm, and I turn around. While bringing my leg up to kick the person in between the legs. I stop when I see it's just Finn. I lower my leg and look at my hand. It's covered in blood.

Finn says "what happened?!"

Blaire runs up to us and says "are you okay?!"

I look and see the rabid wolf is on the ground, not moving. The other wolf, which I guessed was Ace, came and sat at my feet.

I take a deep breath and say "it just... it just attacked me."

Finn says "are you alright?"

I say "my hand is covered in freaking blood!"

Blaire says "come on, we'll bring you back, I'll clean it up."

I nod and follow her as she leads us all back to the clearing.

Wolf Ace follows right next to me, and Finn stands on my other side while Blaire leads us.

I take a deep breath and say "sorry, Finn."

He says "I'm just glad you didn't kick me this time."

I laugh and say "you're lucky I saw you this time. Otherwise we'd have to make Ace become a stretcher and push you back to the clearing."

He says "I'd rather walk."

I laugh and say "I would too."

He laughs with me for a moment, and it almost feels like nothing ever changed. It feels like we were back to where we were a few months ago, before either of us had powers. But that feeling quickly subsides when I feel the pain in my hand.

We get back to the clearing and Blaire says "okay, summon some water. And make a hole."

I nod and stomp on the ground to open a crack, then rip it open to make a small hole. Then I summon some water.

She says "put the water in the hole."

I nod and drop the water in the hole.

She says "now, put your injured hand in there."

I slowly put my bloody hand into the water. It stings at first, but then it starts to feel better.

I sigh in relief.

She says "keep it in there for a few minutes, I'll be back to check on you in a bit."

I nod and she walks away.

I sit by myself for a minute, then Ace comes and sits next to me.

I say "thank you."

He says "you'd do it for me."