Chapter 8

It took four hours to drive to the Government, so it gave me plenty of time to think. I mostly thought about what happened with Finn.

He had been my friend for almost ten years. We literally went through everything together. I was the first person he told after he got his powers, mostly because I was right next to him when it happened. We had been friends for years. Maybe I did like him. I never really thought about it.

The ride seemed like it took way longer than it should have, so I guessed someone was manipulating time somewhere.

After a couple of hours I asked "can we stop and get some food? Please? I'm starving."

Yeah, I suddenly wanted to eat again. I hadn't eaten since Burger King.

The woman opens up a bag and takes out a bag of chips. She throws it at me.

I say "umm, thanks?"

She just nods and returns to the email she was reading on her phone.

I open the bag of chips and eat the whole thing.

We eventually did arrive at the Government, after what felt like days. The woman, I found out her name is Cecily, led me inside. I didn't say a word.

She brought me to Dexter's office and knocked on the door. A guard answered it.

Cecily says "I've got an Impota that needs burning."

The guard opens the door wider and Cecily pulls me inside.

Dexter is sitting at his desk, looking over some papers.

Cecily clears her throat and says "excuse me? Dexter?"

He looks up at her, then he sees me.

He says "is this child an Impota?"

She nods.

He turns to me and says "what's your name?"

I say "Nova."

He says "and how old are you?"

I sigh and say "today is my fourteenth birthday."

He says "and you're an Impota?"

I nod and say "yes, I'm an Impota. Sadly." I look down at the ground.

He says "it's sad that anyone has to be an Impota."

Wow, this guy is not what I expected. I expected him to me harsher than Cecily.

He says "you do understand why Impota have to be killed, yes?"

I nod and say "because if Impota keep breeding, then eventually there might be more powerless people than supernatural, and they'll kill people with powers all over again."

He nods and says "smart girl. Very smart."

I say "I accept that I've got to die, if it's for the good of the supernatural people."

He says "that's very brave, Nova. Very brave."

I just nod, still looking down at the ground.

I slowly look up at him.

He looks at Cecily and says "Cecily, this plan is an excellent idea." He points to the papers on his desk. Some of them looked like blueprints.

She smiles and says "thank you."

I just remain silent.

Dexter says "now as for this Impota..."

I look from Cecily to him.

He says "kill her. At sunrise."

�O.q��5�