Chapter 27

When we get inside, I bring Sim to my room and have her stay in there, then I go to see Cecily.

When I get there, I say "okay, what power is next?"

She says "first, spend an hour practicing Umbrakinesis so you can be sure you've mastered it."

I nod and spend the next hour expanding and getting rid of shadows.

After the hour she says "okay, I'm gonna give you to someone else to do the rest of your training. I've got to go to the Government."

I say "you can't stay another day?"

She says "trust me, when you find out why I'm going, you'll be thanking me."

I sigh and say "who's going to do my training?"

She says "well, we were thinking Felix, the man who taught you Photokinesis."

I nod and say "sounds good."

She leads me into the conference room where I met with Felix yesterday, and he was already in there. Then, she leaves.

Felix says "okay, so now it's only shape shifting, Electrokinesis, and Cyrokinesis."

I nod.

He says "I don't think you can do it."

I say "what?"

He says "not in the time provided. I don't think you can do it."

I say "I can do it. I can! I will! Everyone believes in me."

He says "not me. You only have a week to save the whole country, then they kidnap innocent children and kill most of them. Do you honestly believe you can do it?"

I nod and say "I do. And if you don't then I'll find another teacher."

He says "Nova, you can't do it."

I put out my hand, and a fireball appears. This guy was making me mad. I say "say it again and you get burned."

He says "focus your anger on my phone. Focus on turning it on." He pulls a cell phone out of his pocket and places it on the table.

I focus on the phone, and at first, nothing happens.

He says "try harder. Prove me wrong."

I pour all of my emotions into the electricity of the phone, and the screen lights up.

He says "alright, do that for the next hour."

I sit there turning the phone on and off with my mind for an hour.

By this point, it was already almost two o'clock.

After the hour, he says "you done for the day?"

I say "no, I can keep going."

He says "Nova, I think you're done."

I say "no, I can keep going. I'm running out of time."

He says "Nova, no."

I say "I will find another teacher."

He says "you look like you're going to pass out. If you really want to learn more today, we'll work on Cyrokinesis after dinner. Right now I think you need to rest."

I say "no, I don't."

He grabs his phone and hands it to me. He says "look at your reflection."

I look into the screen of the phone. I had small purple circles under my eyes, and I was really pale.

He says "go rest."

I sigh but exit the room. I go to my room. When I have to pass through the room that Blaire, Finn, Ace, and now Simone share, Ace says "Nova?"

I look at him.

He says "you okay?"

I nod and say "I'm just going to rest for a while."

Finn looks up and says "dear god. Nova, what'd you do to yourself? You look like the walking dead."

I say "I worked too hard."

Blaire says "are you okay?"

I say "I, I think I'm going to pass out."

I look and see Sim asleep on a bed.

Fin stands up and approaches me. He says "Ace, get the door."

Ace gets up and opens the door to my room.

My vision slowly begins to go black.

Blaire says "come on, just go to your room and go to sleep for a while."

I start walking towards the door to my room, and my vision gets even darker.

Finn says "Nova, stay with me. Stay awake. Just until you get to your room, okay?"

My vision goes fully black, and the last thing I remember before passing out is all three of them yelling "NOVA!"