Chapter 20

*Grace's P.O.V*

I know ops was about the worst thing I could say in this situation. I realize it does nothing but get me in more trouble. When you realize you have been snitched on by a stupid scale and are about to be in trouble, you aren't really concerned about what the best thing to say is.

Plus, it honestly was a surprise to me too. It's not like I'm measuring myself constantly or at all really. I mean, I did realize I lost weight when none of my clothes fit right but that happens after a couple pounds. This... this was a screw up...

"Ops? OPS!? This is not an ops moment Grace! You are just over 90 pounds! You lost almost 40 pounds, Grace! Not only are you underweight... you are severely underweight!! If I didn't know better, this would be a concern for an eating disorder! I do know better though and I know you just forgot to eat... a lot, or you just didn't eat enough. Is that what happened, Grace? This isn't tell me what I want to hear, either. Lie to me... no, even if you tell a tiny fib to me, your ass is mine, Grace, and you won't be sitting for weeks! Weeks, Grace. Don't test me... I don't mess around with my daughter's health and safety... you know that... and this... is not okay." My mom says, glaring at me with a dramatic point down to the reading. I take this opportunity to step off the scale so it's not in fact a constant reminder. Unable to meet her eyes, I stare at the floor as I give her my answer.

"I may have... skipped some meals... a lot of meals, it seems. I promise it wasn't on purpose! Well, I mean, on purpose to lose weight. I was happy with my weight, actually. I just... Wasn't hungry so I didn't eat some days. Well, I didn't eat a full meal, I mean. I thought it was enough but it clearly wasn't. I'm sorry I wasn't taking better care of myself. I'll do a better job now that I know." I tell her honestly, still looking at the floor, when she grabs my chin and lifts it.

"You are wrong, Grace. You will not be doing a better job. I... will be. You are home now so you will be eating my food. That means I have full control over what you eat. That means you will sit down and eat 3 meals a day, Grace, and finish everything placed in front of you. I don't care if that means I have to feed you in order for you to finish, you will be finishing it." She tells me with a very stern look before letting go of my chin and grabbing my hand instead.

"Let's get your face cleaned, baby, then we will get some dry shampoo in your hair before we comb it out and get it nice and neat in one of my bonnets. It's past time for your nap so we need to get a move on it!" Mom says, switching tones so quickly, I'm thrown for a loop as she guides me to the tub. I watch as she grabs a cloth and wets it under the running water once we get there.

"I'll try to be gentle but I also want to make sure you are clean." She tells me as she caresses a loose strand of hair out of my face. Without waiting for a reply, she begins wiping my face with the wet washcloth and it feels nice. I missed this treatment when I was away. The next part isn't as enjoyable. My mom really scrubs the cleaner onto my face. Getting it off was even worse! My mom scrubbed hard and I was glad when it was finally done. Mom next undos what's left in my terrible bun and starts finger combing the shampoo through my hair. I'm not sure if it's the shampoo or the care she is taking with the process but my hair feels really nice again. Maybe I should have washed it like mom said.

"Done. Now go sit in the vanity chair and wait for me, baby. I'll be in to do your hair in a moment once I clean up some." Mom says with a playful pat to my butt to get me moving. The pat makes me remember what underwear or should I say who's underwear and I blush from the thought, quickly making my way to my mom's vanity.

I don't have to wait long as mom arrives shortly after I sat down. She makes short work combing out my hair but is very gentle about it before she starts braiding it into one long ponytail. It feels very nice and I'm quite jealous how cooperative my hair is being for her. It never acts this way for me! Once done with the braiding, she then wraps it into a tight bun on top of my head before covering it with a nice violet colored bonnet! I can't help but smile that she remembered my favorite color!