Chapter 46

*Grace's P.O.V*

I was apparently wrong. It was very hard to free my catfish friend. Even when I tried my best to free him, Daddy was much quicker than I was and would swat my hands away before I could even try. I thought it was very rude of him to do that because I wasn't doing anything wrong. After about the fifth time of me doing it, he told me that I needed to stop or else I would end up in timeout. I thought that was a very stupid threat because there was no way he could put me in timeout. I mean, where was a corner for me to stand in? I did stop though, just because Elena was so close by and I did not want to see if he would find a corner to put me in timeout right in front of Elena.

After all my worrying and attempts to free my new friend, it turns out that I didn't have to worry about freeing my catfish friend after all. It seems he managed to wiggle enough that he broke the stringer that daddy had put him on and freed himself. I only knew that because the line suddenly went slack and then part of it floated up with no fishy attached.

"Damn it," Daddy mutters, glaring at the stringer like it was the line's fault that the fish was super strong.

"So we're not eating my fish friend?" I ask, ducking behind Elena who had been busy catching her own fish. She had caught a couple bass that she kept and they were still on her stringer. Which might I add, means it wasn't broken like daddy's was.

"Sounds like today just isn't your day," Elena laughs as she glances at daddy who narrows his eyes. He had caught two catfish but they were both smaller than mine so I think that's why he is so grumpy.

"Today would be my day if you two didn't bring all your bad luck," Daddy retorts as he sticks tongue out at the both of us. I giggle as I look at Elena who is rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

"Do not roll your eyes at me, it's very rude," Daddy starts to fake lecture Elena who rolls her eyes, clearly annoyed with his tone.

"It sounds like someone who can't fish is trying to tell me what to do. Which would be funny seeing as he has caught a lot less than me," Elena says as she puts her hands on her hips, smirking at Daddy.

He rolls his eyes as he looks at me, making me look away. I wasn't getting caught between either of them, it was a bad idea. I make my way away from the dock, not really caring about fishing anymore since I don't want to be caught in between those two.

I stand on the walkway, letting out a small noise when I see Mommy's car. I know it's her car because who else would be at this private pond. I skip my way over after I check to make sure that Elena isn't going to see me skipping. She wouldn't let me live it down if she saw me skipping over to mommy's car.

Once I see that she is actually out of the car though, I abandon all thoughts of just skipping. I sprint over to her, barely giving her time to react before I jump on her, wrapping my arms around her neck in a hug.

"I missed you too baby," Mommy says as she shifts me to her hip with pats to my bottom, making me whine. I hated when she did that, it always made me feel like a baby. And I was not a baby!

"Did you get my bug juice?" I ask as I lean back from the hug, giving her a suspicious look. She sighs as she presses her lips together, looking down at me.

"That depends. Have you been behaving?" Mommy asks and I let my arms drop from around her neck, fidgeting with my dress that I was wearing under her gaze. I mean I had been a little whiny but other than that, I thought I had been good. I decided that I had been good enough to get my bug juice after very careful consideration.

"Yes. I have it now," I say after a moment, making Mommy raise an eyebrow.

"Excuse me?" Mommy asks in a threatening tone, putting me down.

"Can I please have my bug juice now? I promise I was good, mommy." I correct with my most innocent expression.

"It's in the passenger seat, do not run around my car," Mommy says when I start to run. I had only hit my leg on her car one time and fallen, she was just being a meanie for reminding me of that. Sure, she had to carry me around the mall all afternoon because my leg hurt but that's not the point!

I speed walk around the car, opening the door and grabbing the sack out of the seat. I dig through it, finding my bug juice and my sucker. I grin when I see that it is a caramel sucker and start to open it.

"Put your trash in the trashcan please Gracie," Mommy says and I huff as I shut the passenger seat door and move to the back door, opening it to put my wrapper in the trash. When I straighten up, I see that Mommy has walked over to Daddy's ice chest and is now digging through it.

"What are you doing?" I ask curiously before sticking my sucker in my mouth, the caramel kind of hurting my cheek. They should make sure it doesn't have pointy edges, it was stupid of them not to.

"Just checking something," Mommy says. She's got her hand in the ice cooler and I wonder how she is doing that since it must be cold with all the ice in it. "Have you or Daddy drank any of this water?" she asks as she looks back at me.

"No, Daddy used some to wash off my knee when I skinned it though," I say around the sucker, pointing to my knee.

"So you haven't drank any water today?" Mommy asks and I shake my head, earning a sigh.

"When you finish your bug juice, you have to drink a bottle of water. I will not be having you get heat exhaustion," Mommy instructs and I hesitantly nod, huffing when she picks up the sunscreen that's on the tailgate.

"When did you last put this on?" she asks and I shrug.

"When Daddy and I first got here," I say, going quiet when I see Elena coming up the dock. Probably wondering where I got off to.

"Come here," Mommy says and I walk over to her, dragging my feet slightly. When I finally do reach her, she takes my bug juice from me. I huff as she sets it on the back of the tailgate, picking up the sunscreen. I hold my arms out to my side, letting her spray my arms before putting it on her hands to get it on my face. After that she sprays around my neckline just like Daddy did. Except she did it better than him.

"Done?" I ask and when she nods, I take my bug juice and sit on the back of the tail gate, swinging my legs as Elena walks up to the truck. A brilliant idea comes to mind, one that will take all of the attention off of me.

"Elena isn't wearing any sunscreen," I point to Elena and say, making her freeze. Mommy turns her head to look at Elena who smiles innocently.

"Come here Elena," Mommy says, earning a shake of Elena's head.

"No thank you, I think I will just..." Elena turns and sprints back to the dock, making me giggle.

"Does everyone in this family think they're a track star? My goodness," Mommy sighs as her forehead wrinkles up. She doesn't look that upset but I can tell she isn't pleased. At least that would be focused on Elena and not me.

"I'm a good girl, I wear my sunscreen, unlike someone," I inform Mommy as I pull the sucker out of my mouth, wanting to be able to speak clearly.

"I know Gracie, you're a very good girl and I'm very proud of you," Mommy says as she pats my leg, making me smile slightly. She was proud of me! That was wonderful, I liked that. She should always be proud of me because I am an angel who can do no wrong. I was going to inform her of that but Daddy was now walking up to the truck. Was everyone trying to take my time with Mommy? It wasn't fair!