Chapter 65

*Grace's P.O.V*

Elena has taken it upon herself to take care of me while Mommy and Daddy are busy. She refills my sippy cup whenever it runs out, saying that I'm her baby right now and so I have to let her help me like a good big sister should. I want to object but she constantly threatens to tell Zahira that I watched Coraline without her so I give in pretty easily.

Elena has taken my bonnet off and is just holding me, letting me lay against her as we watch all the Cars movies. She refuses to let me live in peace, making me watch every second of the movies. We're about done with one of them, I don't know which except that it's not the first. I think?

"Gracie," Mommy's voice catches my attention and I turn my head, escaping Elena's hold. I go into the kitchen, looking for Mommy. She's right outside the back door and gestures for me to come over to her and I do, furrowing my eyebrows. I have a pair of shoes by the door so I sit down, taking my time to put on my shoes. As I do, mommy opens the door, holding out her hands to me.

I grab them, letting her pull me up to my feet. I jump happily, squealing when she catches me. I'm rested on her hip as she turns around. My eyes first land on the pool, which has a fence around it. It's always had one but this one is much newer and more secure looking. They must have gotten it within the past couple of months.

My eyes move to continue looking around the yard and I gasp, seeing the playhouse that is in the middle of the backyard. It's brand new, like just put together and I squirm to get down. Mommy pats my padded bottom before setting me down, allowing me to run over to it. Daddy is at the top of the playhouse, screwing something in.

"Move it," I say as I climb up the slide, crawling between his legs to get into the playhouse. He raises an eyebrow, giving me a stern look as he easily lifts me to my feet and makes me look at him.

"Do you see me standing here? With a drill in my hand as I am putting the roof onto this playhouse?" Daddy asks, making me hesitantly nod. "Then don't you dare do that again. You could have gotten yourself or me hurt, Grace!" Daddy scolds, making me tear up. I had just been excited, and now Daddy was mad at me. I hiccup, climbing down the ladder and running past Mommy to go inside.

I don't even care enough to take my shoes off, running upstairs to my room and shutting the door. I hiccup as I crawl into bed, deciding to hide in the covers, upset that he was upset at me.

"Gracie... what's wrong, baby?" I hear Mommy ask as she opens my door. I don't care enough to look at her and just hide further in the covers, tears still falling down my face.

"Daddy mean," I hiccup out, not caring that Mommy sits at the foot of my bed and lifts the covers off me. She pulls me towards her and I squirm away, sitting up to look at her with tearful eyes. I wasn't even upset over the scolding, just the fact that Daddy scolded me upset some part of my brain. I didn't want daddy mad at me.

"Do you want to know what I think?" Mommy asks, making me shake my head because she always knows something that makes a lot of sense and I don't want sense right now. Mommy doesn't seem to care whether or not I want sense though.

"I think that your eyes are overtired from watching too much tv, that your brain is all excited about the playhouse, and that Daddy scolding you was just one emotion too many for your brain today," Mommy says as she lays back, lying by me. I shake my head, not wanting her to be right. I didn't like when she was right.

"No? What do you think it is then Gracie?" Mommy asks as she pulls me close, letting me cuddle into her.

"Daddy mean," I whisper, making her sigh softly.

"I know how mean he can be, baby. I've been married to him for so long that I can't even remember the last time I could walk up the stairs without him appearing to smack my butt," Mommy says, making me giggle.

"He not," I disagree, making her nod.

"Oh yes he will," Mommy states. "That's why he has to go in front of me or why I banish him to the garage," she says sternly.

"Daddy not spank you," I say with a giggle, making her huff.

"What happened to him being mean? You said he was mean, now you're going all Daddy's girl to defend him," Mommy sighs as she tickles me, making me squirm.

"Wena my favorite, then daddy, then you," I inform Mommy who raises an eyebrow as she stops tickling me.

"Why is that?" Mommy asks.

"Cause Wena gave me a bunch of juice while you and Daddy were busy," I inform her, earning a huff from her.

"So what I am hearing is that I need to put Elena in the corner for being naughty and then you need to go in the corner for being hyper?" Mommy asks, making me shake my head quickly. That wasn't what I had said at all.

"Noooo," I whine as she sits me up, letting me pout at her with a frown on my lips.

"What do you think should happen then?" Mommy asks.

"I go play?" I suggest, earning a chuckle from her as she lifts me up.

"Let's go see if you can play yet. Daddy was supposed to be done when I brought you out there earlier but he was just too slow. This time I will confirm it is ready before letting you go," Mommy says, carrying me out of my room and down the stairs. By the time we get to the backyard, Daddy's not in the playhouse and is putting his tools up.

"I play?" I ask, making Mommy nod. I take off running to the playhouse, climbing up the slide since that's the only fun way to get up to the playhouse.