Chapter 35

*Fami's P.O.V*

With Grace now asleep, I remove the bottle from her mouth and set it aside. Grace gets a little fussy from losing it but calms down once I readjust her so she is laying more comfortably against me. The way her thumb magically teleports to her mouth also probably helps too.

"Is that..." Matias starts to say, staring at the bottle, before I cut him off.

"Yes... it is a newborn bottle. You already know I struggle with hoarding some stuff. It seems to be working in my favor today, though. Now keep your voice down so she doesn't wake up, please." I tell him in a whispered hiss.

"Sorry... was it necessary to use that bottle? Do we not have any normal ones?" Matias asks.

"Necessary... no, not really. Could I have used a different one... yes. I used the bottle to keep her little Matias, and to help her sleep. This type of nipple feels less foreign in their mouth. I think you can figure out why on your own. I also just wanted to test if she would like it or not. I think she did..." I tell him, assuming that his problem is with the type of bottle and not with me using a bottle.

"Is your next question why did I put her to sleep? I decided she doesn't need to know this part. Not right now at least. I don't think she is ready to process these memories and today has been... eventful... enough, I think. I decided some warm milk and snuggles would do wonders in achieving my goal of putting her to sleep. They are the secret to any successful nap time, after all. Though it is pretty late for a nap. It shouldn't really affect anything with how tired she is though... hopefully." I tell him with a shrug before he can ask the predicted question.

"So what exactly did you want to tell me that you didn't want Grace to hear? Were the files that bad?" Matias eventually asks, cutting right to the point I was trying to make and dropping the whole bottle, nap topic. I decide not to sugar coat it for him now that Grace isn't listening and we seem to be on the same page.

"I learned her story. Part of it, at least. There is a story behind every person, Matias... a reason... they are the way they are..." I begin, gently stroking my baby's cheek.

"They aren't just like this because they want to be... something in their past created them... and sometimes... it's impossible to fix... no matter how much you wish you could." I tell him, feeling the tears start to form in my eyes from the thought of it already.

"Don't get me wrong... I don't wish to fix this... or change her... our Gracie... our baby... I love her just the way she is... all of her. She is my... our daughter. Nothing can change that. I just wish I could take away some of her pain. I hate that I can't... that's all." I clarify.

"You have to understand that there are two types of pain in this world. There is the one that hurts you... and the one that changes you. Grace felt the changing kind... that is what her documents told me, Matias... pain... a lot of life changing pain." I tell him, wiping the tears from my eyes.

"Grace was given up at birth in a closed adoption. The only information we know is that a nurse that helped with the delivery ended up adopting her and taking her home from the hospital with her husband. As you know, the birth parents' information was left off her forms." I tell him, beginning with information he already knows.

"The first couple years of her life are honestly probably Grace's best. I say that because little is known. We can only assume so because it's the years she most retreats to. It's referring to her regression, dear... it means it's the time frame she most frequently regresses to." I tell him after seeing his confused look before continuing.

"As you know, they died when she was a little past two and she was put in the system. If they kept any information on her birth mother and father, no one could find anything so the information was left blank after that because it's not that unusual to see in a closed adoption." I tell him.