Chapter 71

*Grace's P.O.V*

When we actually pull into Zahira's driveway, I close my eyes and try to pretend this isn't happening. That is until Mommy opens my door, finally pulls my thumb out of my mouth, and unbuckles me. It's unfair how easy it is for her to unbuckle me. She just presses the button and pulls and all the straps come off. I try to do that and none of them come off! I swear she is magic!

I whine as she lifts me up, squirming to get down. There was no way I was letting her carry me into Zahira's, it would be way too embarrassing. Mommy sets me down, holding my hand instead so I can't run off as she grabs the bag from the floorboard and then shuts the door. She then leads me to the front door, knocking on it.

"I get it," I hear Jazmin say, making me shift uncomfortably as I try my bestest to hide behind Mommy.

I didn't want Jazmin to see me like this. I looked like a baby at the moment. Mommy had put me in a shirt with butterflies all over it and had helped me into a set of overalls after I got syrup all over the dress I picked out during breakfast. I didn't hate the overalls but they made me feel so babyish.

After I hear a couple clicks, the door opens and surprisingly it's Zahira that answers. She has Jazmin in her arms, the little girl pouting.

"Sorry about that, someone forgets she's not supposed to answer the door without supervision first. It's why we had the lock installed out of someone's reach, unless she is being carried, that is," Zahira says as she bounces Jazmin on her hip slightly.

"Nana," Jazmin squeals as she spots mommy, reaching for her in a complete emotional 180. I'm thankful she hasn't noticed me and more than happy that her attention is all on mommy.

Mommy takes Jazmin into her arms, holding her close as she smiles softly, letting go of me. She covers Jazmin's face in kisses while stepping into the house. I take the opportunity to try and back off the porch but daddy is behind me so I don't get the chance.

"Grace... you are very close, even for me. Stop digging or else," Daddy warns in a whisper as he pushes me inside, his hand on my back to do so. I pout slightly, upset that he would do such a thing and not be on my side.

"Oh, didn't see you there Gracie. I see you are still using mom as a shield," Zahira says as she smiles at me. I'm not sure if her calling me Gracie is teasing or not so I just narrow my eyes slightly, not sure how to react so I just turn back to daddy.

"Gracie," Daddy sighs as I turn around and bury my face into his chest, not in the mood to talk. He rubs my back, letting me cuddle into him as I do my best to avoid talking to Zahira or Jazmin.

"Grace, come on. Tonight will be fun, I promise," Zahira tries to convince me. I shake my head, daddy still rubbing my back. I pout slightly when he tries to move me away. I sniffle at his actions, wanting to start crying so that he'll feel bad and not leave me here. I don't even get the chance to start though because a tiny hand grabs one of my hands.

"Come on Auntie Gracie, nana said yous wanna play with me but afraid to ask. That why I ask. Now let's play," Jazmin tugs on my hand while saying. I pout, hesitantly leaving daddy and following after her. I don't want to go play but I don't want to disappoint Jazmin either. Therefore, I just follow her into the living room and do what I'm told.

"We do puzzle now. Mommy said if finish, I get prize," Jamin informs me, flopping down onto the floor in front of a bunch of boxes. I nod, not sure that I liked the idea of doing a puzzle but I did like the idea of a prize. Puzzles just weren't that fun and the pieces never went together like they should. Everyone else made it look so easy. I fidget as I sit down, watching as Jazmin opens the box and dumps all the pieces out, spilling them everywhere. Luckily they are big pieces so none go missing. At least I hope so...

"Are you sure you should be doing that?" I ask, making Jazmin look at me. She nods after a moment, smiling as she starts looking through the pieces. It's actually a big puzzle, around 300 pieces. I start to do the same, flipping over some pieces so they're right side up. I mostly look for the edge pieces, deciding that doing this puzzle was going to be quite fun and totally not because we would for sure win that prize.

Jazmin and I have nearly finished the border of the puzzle, making slow but steady progress before being interrupted. Our method was to just try pieces everywhere we could and just move onto the next one if that one didn't fit.

"Having fun?" Zahira's voice makes me jump and I turn to look at her. I furrow my eyebrows, looking for Mommy and Daddy. Had they left?! Without even saying goodbye to me??

"What's wrong sis? Didn't you hear Mom and Dad say goodbye? Mom even came over and kissed the top of your head. Don't you remember waving her away?" Zahira asks, making me shake my head after a moment. I hadn't heard them say goodbye. I had thought they would stay for longer.

"Mommy, go 'way. We doing puzzle, earn prize. No cheating like last time," Jazmin interrupts, tugging on my hand so that I start testing puzzle pieces around the edge of the border again.

"Okay little miss bossy, I'll leave you two to play. Also, I didn't cheat. You are the one that dumped the box out, losing a piece. I had no part in that," Zahira scoffs, sounding amused. Dusting herself off, she leaves the room with one last remark.

"Oh, before I forget to mention, if you need a change, your diaper bag is by the door. Mom said it has everything you might need. I don't know why she brought it to begin with though. I told her Jazmin wears the same size as you now and I would have everything else but mom will be mom," she yells back after she leaves, muttering the last part.

My face burns as I try to process what I heard. Did she really just say that?! There was no way she had just said that, right? She couldn't know that I had accidents still and I was in a pullup! There was no way she knew. I must have imagined it. Or better yet, she was talking to Jazmin! Yeah, She must have been talking to Jazmin! Looking over at her, Jazmin must sense it because she looks up at me and huffs.

"Auntie Gracie! Puzzle!! Help me or I tell mommy you being mean!" She says with the cutest pout. It's so cute I forget about Zahira and get back to working on Jazmin's puzzle with her to her immediate glee, forgetting all about my bag...