Chapter 22: The dark part of town!

*minutes after the Trio split up*
Midoriya POV:
It was dark by now. The crowds slowly dispersed. Nearby market stands packed up and only left some old apples and baskets with holes behind. Pubs, restaurants and little shops turned their signs to closed. Lights behind windows went out and curtains were closed. In just a few minutes the so lively town shape shifted into what looked like a ghost town. I walked against the stream leading through the town and down the hill, loosing myself in thoughts. Time passed like nothing and before I knew it I the houses started to look different from before.

Instead of buildings made out of stones, decorated with plants and pretty lights these buildings were made of old wood, windows were smashed in and the so stable looking bridges leading from one house to the others looked rotten and were creaking in the wind. The town I came from and the town I slowly entered had a perfect transition so that from further away you wouldn't see that the further you walked the worse it looked. The streets were covered in a carpet of trash and excrements. An awful smell was in the air. Not a single person in sight. The further I walked the more I regretted it. As I was about to turn around and leave again my ears caught someone fighting. I decided to walk in the direction it was coming from. I carefully peaked around the next corner. A man and a women were fighting. Behind the women where two children, a boy and a girl, hiding from the man shouting at the women "it was due to last month!" He screamed. "I know, I know but please how am I suppose to feed my children. We live in the poor parts of town where was I expected to get all this money from. Please, oh lord give me more time" the women sounded desperate and broke down in tears. She fell to the ground and kneeled before the guy repeating "please, oh lord give me more time" over and over again. Now the children started screaming and crying too. The man had enough and grabbed the women by her hair "If I don't have the money by THE END OF THIS WEEK I will burn down your house and kill those two brats in front of your eyes before I hang your ugly ass!" He screamed into her ears while holding her high enough so he wouldn't have to bow even an inch. The women cried in pain as he threw her to the ground and ran off his last words being "YOU BETTER HOLD THE DEADLINE!"

I stormed around the corner and quickly ran over to the women. She was still on the ground whimpering. Her children hugged her and cried "Miss are you okay?!" Full of fear she snapped out of it and turned around. She held both her children to her chest as she stared at me with terror. "I won't hurt you! I promise! I just want to help!" She didn't believe me so I said "I am not from here so I am not sure what's going on but please let me help you! Oh here..wait a sec" I started to search for the gold coin in my pocket. "I don't have much but you can have this as proof I only want to help!" I held the coin in her direction. "That's what they all do!" She shouted "First they give you money and later they expect you to pay double no tripple the price back!" "I am not like that, really!" I tried to convince her but she wouldn't budge. "Alright don't take the money but let me at least help you up and see if you have bad injuries. On these streets it will easily infect itself. I also have some bread left over if your children are hungry. Just let me help please!" She looked at me for a while thinking about it. "Alright what is a young boy like you suppose to do anyways. JUST know if you try to pull anything I'll beat you up myself" I nodded. She reached for my hand and I helped her up. The boy and the girl were still screaming when she led me to the front door behind us.

Inside was a big room and something that looked like a reception. The room had multiple hallways leading to doors with different numbers on them. We took the central one and entered a room with a sign saying "private only". The door creaked as we entered. Behind is was a small room with a little kitchen and two bunk beds next to each other as well as a door leading to the bathroom. "We had to sell all our furniture. This is all that's left" the women said. Everything was dusty and looked quit old. As I looked around I spotted another person. It was a boy my age laying in one of the beds. He was tucked into a dirty planked and on his forehead was a wet towel. He was sleeping. "That's John" the women said. She must have realized I was looking. "And these two are Fred and Isabell. My husband died of hunger a couple months back. He stoped eating so we could have more. After that John had the feeling he had to take over and stoped eating as well so Fred and Isabell would finally stop being hungry. But now he got sick too!" the women started crying. "C'mon you two" I kneeled down and reached my arms in the direction of Isabell and Fred. "There's no need for tears anymore" both walked over to me. I quickly unpacked the left over food from our trip. I sat down on the floor and offered one leg to each of them. They quickly sat down and started eating as if they haven't had food for days. Not long after they finished both fell asleep in my arms. I carried them over to the bunk beds and tucked them in.

The women was sitting on the floor when I turned back around. She looked exhausted. "Here have the rest" I passed over the last bit of food. "But you will go hungry then" she said "Please eat! I have eaten today already and it seems like you haven't so enjoy. My friend made it so it's extra delicious" she thanked me and quickly bit in the peace of bread. I smiled "Ok, where are you hurt?" She showed me her knee. It was bruised and had an open wound. Her elbow looked hurt too. I unpacked my med-kit and started with her knee. "May I ask something?" I said while cleaning the wound. "You already did but go on" the women said. I hesitated "What happened... I mean for you to be in this kind of situation?" I looked up.
"We'll it started about seven years ago..."

To be continued ...