Chapter 31: One step at a time!

Bakugo POV:
[...] Over all taking this way up was a really stupid idea. But of course Deku had to insist on taking it. Wich proved how utterly hopeless he would be without us!

"Are we really going up there? It will take us days to get to the top." Half n' Half asked. "You're worried about the time it will take? Ever thought about the fact that this will definitely kill at least one of us?!" I answered. "The merchants made it down here a couple years back without getting a single person hurt." "Yes, Deku! But that was... what 10 years ago? Don't you see that this path has been completely destroyed?!" "But we have to help the people in the north wing!" Deku kept arguing. "Listen! There is no use. We can try and get up there get half of us killed, the other one badly wounded and you know what it will help the people over there?! Nothing! The farmers are ging to tell us that it has gotten impossible for them to deliver due to this exact staircase! All that without you even knowing where exactly they are or if that village still exists! Hell, maybe that woman lied to you. Maybe the farm didn't exist in the first place! Fact is, we shouldn't be risking it! We have our own problems to solve. Get a reality check! These people aren't even real they are an imagination. Some random people an insane person came up with so we would be tempted to get ourselves killed! We tried and failed. You kept your promise. Now let's get back on track and find a way out of this god forsaken shit hole!" Deku's eye were filled with tears as he stared at me furiously. He was probable trying to come up with something in his head that would make us go after all. "C'mon Katsuki. Why do you have to be so harsh about it. You could have said it in a nicer tone. Not to mention-" "You know what Kacchan!?" Deku angrily said, cutting Shoto off. "If you don't want to come with us that's fine!" "What?" "I'll go alone if that's what it takes. I am not abandoning these people. Yes, they might only exist in someone's mind but they have been suffering and deserve to get help." all of a sudden his voice was calm. "Then let them go their selves! We are still Teenagers Deku! We are only 16. Are you seriously going to throw everything away for fiction?! SLOWLY I AM GETTING THE FEELING YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO GO BACK TO THE REAL WORLD!" Deku was quiet. He didn't react. He just stared at the ground. "Izuku?" IcyHot asked. "Don't tell me you want to stay here?" His voice slowly filled with fear. Deku didn't say a word. "No! That can't be it right? What are you-" Deku took off his backpack, aggressively ripped the diary out of his bag and threw it on the ground right in front of our feet. Then he put his backpack back on his shoulders, turned around and mumbled: "As I said earlier you don't need to come with me... but I will go one way or the other..." Then he started to walk in the direction of the stairs. Shoto grabbed his arm and tried to convince him to stay but Deku quickly freed himself and ignored what he had to say. I wondered when it had started. Not long ago he was so homesick I had the feeling he would do anything to get back but now he wanted to stay? Or did he? I didn't know what to do. I starred at the diary still laying in the rubble. "Katsuki! Let's go!" I looked up at IcyHot. "Are we really going to let him go on his own?!" "If he wants to go so badly..." I answered. "Are you serious?!" Shoto starred at me for a couple of minutes. Then he turned around and ran after Deku who had already started climbing up the stairs. Fuck! I grabbed the book and stuffed it in my bag before following Half n' Half to the stairs.

At the beginning we were still able to see Deku in front of us. But the higher we climbed the further he got away and all the boulders and plants blocking our sight didn't make it much easier to follow where he was going either. For one or two hours we just quietly climbed higher and higher. Until our peace was disturbed by a rumbling. First the earth started to shake a little bit. Then a loud noice started to come closer and closer. "What is that?!" IcyHot looked at me with a terrified look. We both knew exactly what that was. "Deku!" I couldn't see him anymore. We needed to find him and take some cover. I hectically looked around us. Shit! Shit! Shit! "Go Shoto! Find some place to hide under! It has to be stable enough so it doesn't collapse! I will go look for Deku." "What? No! I'm coming with you!" I looked up. Far away I could spot an avalanche of boulders and rubble approaching. Some small stones had already reached us. "GO!" "NO!" We had no time to argue! Both of us started to rush up the mountain as fast as we could. "DEKU!" "Izuku! We have to get to safety!" "Where the hell are you?!" All of a sudden Shoto slipped. He was barely able to hold onto the edge. I was about five meters ahead. If I wouldn't have payed attention to him I would have missed his scream over all the noise. I quickly ran over to him and helped him back up. "Can you stand?!" "Yeah! I'm fine. Sorry!" I grabbed his hand and we kept going. When I had to let go because we had to climb for a bit I made sure he was in front of me. Then grabbed it again when we had our hands free. But no matter how much we hurried. The avalanche came closer and closer and we still had no sign of Deku. "We can't keep climbing in the direction of danger. We have to go and find shelter!" I told Shoto. "What?! Are we just going to leave Izuku here?" "We don't know if he hasn't already found somewhere to hide. I mean these noises and the quaking of the earth is hard to miss. It's too dangerous to go on! We have to wait it out and then keep looking for Deku. But there is no way we'll find him like this!" Shoto reluctantly agreed. "Thank you!" We started to look for a hole in the wall or some big boulder we could use to protect ourselves. Finally! A pile of stones and old wood that could offer us at least some protection. We quickly got rid of some of the rubble then hid under the rest of it. We laid down on our sides and made ourselves as small as possible. I spooned Shoto so I could prevent as much stones as possible from hitting him. I placed the bag packs on top of us and soon after it started raining down on us.

To be continued...