Denial

In the starscape, a golden Helmet turns, eternal. Until it stops and the eyes glow an even brighter gold than the color of the Helmet.

New Orleans; July 27th; 21:57 CDT
-

Trumpet music plays in the background as an old man walks down the street. Carrying a cane but not using it. He stops before a door on his left. MADAM XANADU the main golden oval sign reads and an eye in the center. Three small square signs with a red font that reads:

TAROTS READ
LOVED ONES CONTACTED
FATES FORETOLD.

He pulls out a golden pocket watch. Looking at the woman on the inside of the cover. He closes it and walks inside. As he does a woman steps through the bead-guarded doorway. Her skin and hair dark, but her green eyes are accented by the three blue jewels on her forehead.

Xanadu: "Bonsoir, monsieur. How can Madam Xanadu be of service?"

Her French accent is rather mild.

Xanadu: "Ah, there is someone to whom you wish to speak."

She stops about the distance of the table to her right apart from the man.

Xanadu: "Your wife, mai non?"

The man's hand clenches tightly around the watch.

???: "Yes, my Inza."

Xanadu sits down.

Xanadu: "Then madam will make contact if fate be kind."

The man sighs as he sits down as well.

???: "But he so rarely is."

Xanadu: "Ahem."

She clears her throat, then holds out her hand. The man reaches into his jacket, pulling out a roll of bills.

???; "Oh, of course,"

He says, placing them in her hand. She slips them down her shirt with no hesitation and closes her eyes.nThe ball in the center glows pure white and her hair is blown back. The light above sways and creaks, the table shakes ever so slightly, and the curtains blow with the wind. The man watches as the table rises. Then the candles blow out.

Xanadu: "Oh, my darling. How I've missed you."

Madam Xanadu says, though her voice is slightly higher than her own. Her eyes snap open, glowing white as well.

Xanadu: "I'm so lonely here and cold."

The man bursts out into laughter.

???: "Th-that's the best you could do?"

Everything clatters to its original place.

Xanadu: "Imbecile! You have broken the spell."

She snaps as her eyes open once more.

Xanadu: "Your wife is forever lost."

???: "Th-that supposed to be my wife?"

He questions mockingly. Letting out a single chuckle before he continues.

???: "Heck, my little Spitfire would've kicked my can for throwin' away good money on you."

Xanadu: "No refunds for non-believers,"

Xanadu replies hastily as she stands up out of her chair and crosses her arms.

???: "I think we both know you're the non-believer, Madame. A wind machine."

He gestures widely with his hand to where a wind machine is hidden from sight behind the curtains near the ceiling.

???: "Tire jacks under the table."