Failsafe

(A/N: Perhaps the darkest episode I watched from this season when it first aired. ⚠️Warning the Alt. Title is: The Justice League traumatizing teenagers)
-

A shadow glides over the moon, heading towards Earth, the shadow is from a massive ship that is deep blue in color with red spots, largely in the shape of a turnip with the roots still attached. There is a flash of light from the East Coast of the US, where the two Green Lanterns and the BatPlane breach the atmosphere to meet the ship.

Batman: "Deploying camera-sensor units."

Batman says with a push of a button. Two small probes release from the Plane, watching as the plane and the Lanterns continue to approach the ship.

John Stewart: "Attention. You have entered the boundaries of Earth space. Disengage all weapons and engines. This is your final warning."

For a moment nothing happens, until there is a whirring from the red port in front of them as it lights up and shoots a beam at them. The two Lanterns get their shields up, but the beam persists and shatters the spheres, turning them into skeletons before that too disappears in a flash. The beam shuts off and the BatPlane makes its approach.

Batman: "Code Red. Full offensive deploy."

The bay door opens to reveal Superman, Shazam, Captain Atom, and Martian Manhunter all four wearing oxygen masks as they fly towards the ship.

The beam from the ship fires again, all the Leaguers remain calm and avoid the beam, which splits in two following the pairs of flying Leaguers. Superman and Martian Manhunter are caught in the beam that is following them, followed quickly by Captain Atom and Shazam.

The beam is fired at the BatPlane, but Batman ejects before it explodes. From his smaller plane, he sees small ships being released on the planet below. One of the small planes, which dwarfs the size of Batman's pod, approaches him, and fires an identical laser at the Dark Knight.

Mount Justice; October 16th, 16:01 ETD
-

Red Tornado watches the screen in the center of the training space, turning to a second screen as another transmission comes through. It's Zatara.

Zatara: "Tornado, did you-?"

He cuts himself off, unable to get himself to say it despite his low and worried tone.

Red Tornado: "Yes, Zatara. We saw."

Tornado says, and the Team stands resolutely behind him, already suited up.

Red Tornado: "Celestial defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures."

Zatara: "Affirmative. See you in the field."

Tornado turns to the Team.

Red Tornado: "I must join the League. We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you."

Kaldur makes a cursory glance at the Team before looking resolutely at Tornado.

Aqualad: "We stand ready."
.
.
.
.
.
.

============================================================

A camera pans from the destruction of a city as a woman's voice speaks over the screaming in the background before it lands on her in shaky movements.