3: 'Babe?'

As I walk down the hallway, memories from three years ago resurfaced, transporting me back to the time when I first crossed paths with Alex Kensington.

It was my initial day on the engineering campus, a day etched vividly in my mind, marking the beginning of an unexpected journey.

The sun was bright, and the air buzzed with excitement as I ventured into the campus, eager to embark on my engineering journey. Unbeknownst to me, fate had a twist waiting at the very start. I was heading to the professor's office, a tad nervous and lost in the sprawling campus.

That's when I encountered Alex, Aiden, and Ethan, standing together near the main building. They seemed confident, almost intimidating with an air of arrogance that accompanied them. I approached them, my hope for guidance overshadowing any instincts of caution.

"Excuse me," I ventured, my voice carrying a hint of uncertainty. "Can you tell me the way to the professor's office?"

Without a flicker of genuine intent to help, Alex smirked, feigning helpfulness. He and his friends pointed me in a direction, claiming it led to the professor's office. Trusting their guidance, I walked with a mix of anticipation and eagerness to make a good first impression.

As I followed their directions, I soon realized the malicious prank they had played on me. Instead of leading me to the professor's office, they had directed me to a restroom.

Laughter echoed in the corridor, and my face flushed with embarrassment and anger. The realization hit me like a wave, the cruel intentions of their deception sinking in.

They had orchestrated this mockery, reveling in my misfortune. From that very moment, a seed of resentment and dislike for them was planted deep within me. It was a painful lesson, a sharp introduction to the reality that not everyone would extend a helping hand, and some would even revel in causing harm.

Time rolled on, and our paths intersected again during a football match at the end of the semester. As fate would have it, Alex's temper flared during the match. Jack accidentally made Alex stumble and fall. An inferno of rage blazed within Alex, and he lashed out, striking Jack in a fit of anger.

Reacting instinctively, I rushed between them, trying to defuse the situation. But my intervention seemed to fuel the flames further, and Alex and I locked eyes, the brewing storm of conflict evident.

The confrontation escalated into a heated argument, and the resentment from our initial encounter ignited a fierce rivalry.

From that point onward, every interaction with Alex became a clash of egos, a war with no foreseeable end. We were like two magnets with opposing poles, constantly repelling each other, unable to escape the invisible force that kept us at odds.

After successfully delivering the books to Professor Lisa, I made my way to my workplace. The 'Mood Night' bar was a haven for those seeking respite from the daily grind.

The neon lights danced, and the chatter of patrons filled the air as I stepped into my workplace. I changed into my bartender uniform, ready to dive into the night's proceedings.

Taking my position behind the bar counter, I greeted familiar faces and exchanged light banter with regulars. The night was young, and the bar would soon be pulsing with energy.

Mixing drinks, serving customers, and engaging in conversations - it was a routine that I had grown accustomed to, finding a sense of fulfillment in this busy environment.

As the hours rolled by, the bar grew livelier. Laughter and music filled the air, mingling with the clinking of glasses.

I moved with a rhythm, serving drinks, and ensuring everyone had a good time. The bartending job wasn't just about mixing drinks; it was about creating an experience, an escape from reality for those who walked through the doors.

Amidst the hustle and bustle, I noticed a familiar face at the bar.

Alex, Aiden, and Ethan.

"Fuck" I cursed under my breath.

They come to this place regularly, and sometimes I have a feeling that their purpose is not just to have a drink, but to cause trouble for me.

I don't quite grasp why they engage in such behavior, but they consistently create problems for me. Before this job, I used to work at a restaurant, and unfortunately, I lost that job because of them. Since starting here, they have been causing disruptions as well.

The last time they visited, they deliberately tried to provoke me, and we almost ended up in a fight. My manager warned me that if such an incident occurs again, he will have to let me go.

This is something I cannot afford. This place has been perfect for me, and it complements my other part-time job. I've been doing really well here.

"Hello, my loser," Ethan greeted me with a wave as they arrived and took a seat at the bar. Alex and Aiden joined in the laughter, their gazes fixed on me.

I forced a tight-lipped smile and greeted them, determined to keep my composure.

"Hello, What can I get you guys tonight?" I responded, attempting to keep my tone neutral, focusing on the task at hand.

Alex and Aiden exchanged smirks, reveling in the discomfort they were causing.

"Surprise us, babe" Alex winked, an evil grin playing on his lips.

'Babe' I don't know why but my heart skipped a beat in my chest at his word. My face turned hot.

Suppressing my frustration, I proceeded to mix their drinks, trying to distance myself emotionally from the situation.

The chatter and laughter around the bar provided a semblance of distraction, but the trio's presence continued to gnaw at me.

With a deep breath and a sense of determination, I put on a friendly smile, offering the trio a unique concoction I had prepared.

"On the house, a little something to brighten your night," I said, placing the drinks before them.

Their skepticism was evident, but curiosity got the better of them.

"You didn't poison us, did you?" Alex remarked, lifting his glass near my face. My palms clenched into tight fists, the urge to retaliate almost overwhelming. I yearned to wipe that smug look off his face. Aiden and Ethan joined in, laughing obnoxiously at the situation.

"What do you think?" I raised my eyebrows challengingly. Alex's lips twitched, accepting the challenge, and he lifted the glass to his lips.