Chapter Eleven

I delivered the food to the table, looking up to see Maddox. When I took the order, it was just a couple, but they did order four meals. Sat next to Maddox was another male.

"Hey what are you doing here," Maddox asked.

"My family owns this place," I said.

"Can we." Crash.

"Shoot," I said looking over to see Bryan a new kid that we recently hired. I raced over to him "go get me a trash can and restart the order with Tom I'll get this."

I bent down and started to pick up the pieces of the broken plate. I winced in pain, and I felt one of the sharp edges of the plate on my hand. Bryan brought me a trash can, the broom, and a dustpan then ran to the kitchen. I quickly finished cleaning up the plate. I watched as Bryan brought me the mop and a wet floor sign.'

"Thank you why don't you take a break," I said.

"Yeah Okay," he said. I ran my hand through my hair pulling it slightly.

"You got this Lucy," I said I watch as Amber walks in.

"What's going on," Amber asks.

"They kids have the flu," I said "all three of them, Gage is out of town, Dennis is on his way, but he was also out of town, and everyone else is with gage. The other waitress just walked out, and I had to send Bryan outside after a plate disaster. Can You help?"

"Of course, I'll help you," she said.

"Thank you. You're an angel," I said, "Can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure Hun," she said.

"Take care of table three," I said.

***

"We made it through the night of hell," I shouted.

"Thank god," Bryan said.

"Thank you two for all the help tonight," I said.

"Yes, we appreciate it," Dennis said, "Have a good night."

We turned off all the lights, setting the alarm, and walking out the door. In front of the shop was a motorcycle and its rider. They got off the bike and walked over to us.

"Can I talk to you," it was Maddox. I looked over to Dennis, he gave me a nod.

"Uh sure," I said.

"Let's go for a ride," he said heading over to his bike and getting on.

"Sure," I said walking over to the bike.

"Let me know if I need to pick you up," Dennis said.

"I will," I replied.

"Here put this on its kind of chilly tonight," Maddox said taking off his leather jacket.

I smile at him taking it and putting it on. Then getting on behind him. I couldn't help but lift the jacket up to my nose inhaling the scent that intoxicated me. There was the smell of leather, mixed with something that was purely Maddox, and then the scent of cigarette smoke. I've always hated the smell of cigarette smoke. But now every time I smelled it, I remembered the smell of cigarettes burning flesh. I remembered the stinging pain of the red-hot embers being snuffed out on my flesh.

"Your jacket smells like cigarettes," I blurted out without thinking.

"Sorry I smoke when I'm nervous about something or before a race," he said holding out a helmet "if it bothers you, I won't do it around you."

"Sorry to ask but please," I said taking the helmet.

"Of course, do you think you can deal with it until we reach your house," he asked, "I don't want you to be uncomfortable."