Do Not Tell Me Not To Protect You

( In this story Tom is Mattheos brother not the younger version of his father)

It has been a long dreadful day at the manor. The weeks and months of being trapped here are beginning to blend together into one consecutive nightmare. Last year this time was the battle of Hogwarts, and to keep me safe my mother and father put me under the care and protection of the Malfoys for the time being. I for one think it's absolutely ridiculous. I'm perfectly capable of defending myself.

All this just because I'm associated with Mattheo. The two of us have been best friends since year one and are practically conjoined at the hip. When the war began our families quickly realized that Hogwarts was not safe for anyone with the last name Riddle, or anyone who may be associated with it for that matter. The both of us were locked away for the year, separated. Me at the Malfoys home, a close family friend. And Mattheo in his own manor far far away with his brother.

Not a day goes by where I do not think of him. The idea of almost losing him, and him being in so much danger reminded me what a tragedy it would be to lose him. Even us just being apart for so long has absolutely crushed me. We aren't even allowed to write to eachother in case the letters are intercepted. I can't help but wonder most nights if he's thinking of me at all. Probably not.

I walk down the stairs this morning glumly. Even Draco has been granted the okay time return to school. The manor is complete empty aside from the yourselves trying to keep themselves busy even though there is no cleaning to be done.

I slowly walk over to the fireplace in the living room. This has become my favourite spot in the home. It seems to be the only warmth I can find these days.

I sit down across from it and try to think of anything other than Mattheo. His hair, and his eyes, and his soft curls, and that smile....

I've known that I'm in love with him for quite some time but I've never even considered telling him. Well that is until we almost died last year. I've gone back and forth in my head for months about wether to leave things the way they are or risk it.

Mattheo is not one to show emotions, not even around me. So I have no idea if he's feeling any of the same feelings toward me. Chances are he is not. Mattheo is priority focused. He's slightly more tamed than his absolutely crazy brother, who plans on taking over for his father if the time ever comes. A mean a little evil never hurt anyone.

I miss him so much it's almost like I can hear his voice now.

" Watch the fuck out Tom would you?" I hear him snap inside my head and I can't help but laugh. That really does sound just like him.

" It shouldn't take this bloody long!" Comes the voice again. Before I can even question it through the fireplace Tom and Mattheo tumble.

" You are an absolute idiot!" Mattheo snaps at his older brother again.

" Well I'm not the one who suggested using the floo network!" Tom groaned rolling his eyes and wandering off as if this were his home.

I can't help but sit there in silent awe. I take in Mattheo in the few moments I have before he notices me. He looks the exact same in the best way possible. He has a concerned look on his face as if searching for something. Suddenly his eyes land on me.

" May!" He smiles and reaches for a hug which he only does once in a decade. I gratefully accept and squeeze him back tightly.

" I've missed you" I mumble into his chest.

" Of course you did" he says sternly. He pauses a few beats before replying. " I missed you too"

" What are you doing here?" I ask pulling away ti study his face. His eyes are tired and I can tell something up but I won't press the matter quite yet.