Chapter 3

Past

"Where is he? Where is my son? Where is Thaddeus?" Vivienne's voice echoed through the hallway as she rushed toward me.

I sat on the floor, tears streaming down my face, unable to find the words to respond.

Her grip on my hands was strong, and I tried to convey what had happened, but my voice faltered. I wanted to tell her that he was in the theater room, caught between

the precipice of life and death, but the words wouldn't come out.

I could only sob, overwhelmed by the weight of the moment.

"I..." My voice was choked with sobs, rendering me incapable of speaking clearly.

Vivienne let go of my hands, stepping back, creating distance.

"You need to calm down, Mrs. Whitlock," Sean urged, holding her shoulders gently as he guided her to a nearby seat.

Her gasp echoed through the hallway, the sound mingling with her cries of anguish.

"I swear to God if anything happens to my son, I will shred you, Seraphina. I will," she yelled, her eyes locked onto me, filled with a mixture of desperation and anger.

I paused my sobs, my tear-filled eyes locking onto her gaze, those once-familiar gray eyes. But they were different now, void of any emotion. It was a stark contrast to the eyes I had seen countless times when visiting her at home, when sharing moments in the kitchen, or even during our shopping trips.

This look was chilling, as if she

harbored a desire to harm someone, perhaps even to harm me.

"Vivienne," I managed to croak, my voice hoarse, and took a tentative step towards her.

She rose from her seat and approached me, her finger pointing accusingly at my face.

"It's your fault. Everything is your fault, Sera. He apologized, didn't he? He did, but you still refused to listen. Now see where you've put my only son," she sobbed.

Her words cut through me like a knife. This wasn't the Vivienne I knew, the one who had always supported our relationship. Now, she felt distant, like a mother-in-law who disapproved of us.

At that moment, I experienced a feeling I had never felt before. It was as if the weight of the world had crushed me. I wished it was me on that operating table, undergoing the surgery.

I yearned to turn back time, to just a few hours ago, and change the course of events. I was overwhelmed with misery and guilt.

Present

I groaned as the persistent buzzing of my phone pulled me from my slumber.

Opening my eyes slowly, I stretched my arms and fumbled for my phone on the nightstand.

"Hello?" I mumbled sleepily.

"I know I told you not to always call me, but this is too much, Sera," my mom's voice scolded through the phone.

I yawned and sat up in bed, Luna, my dog, eagerly joining me, her tail wagging in excitement.

"Good morning, Mum," I greeted, gently petting Luna's head.

"How are you doing, Sera? You can't keep me in the dark this way," she complained.

What do you mean, Mum?" I asked, not quite understanding her point.

"Why didn't you tell me that Lys now works in your city? I phoned him this morning, and he said he's been in your city for over six months now."

I sighed and climbed out of bed.

"Gosh, Mum, you scared me. Do I need to tell you every detail of Lysander's life?" I asked, pulling the curtains apart to let the morning light in.

"You should; he's like a son to me," she said, and I could sense the hint of a pout in her voice.

"How is retirement going for you, Mum? Do you need anything?" I asked, walking over to the mirror.

"I'm fine, Sera. I miss you, and I just wanted to hear your voice," she replied, making me chuckle.

"I knew that's the reason you called; you don't have to use Lys as an excuse," I teased.

"I have to go now, Mum. I have an outing today,"

"An outing? With who? Lys?" She asked.

I groaned slightly. "Mum, please, let's not talk about that this morning. I'm going out with Luna, not Lys. He has his own life to live, Mum," I said firmly.

"When will you bring the right man home, Sera? It's been years now, and you're 26. You're not getting any younger. You need to move on from... what