Chapter 24

Past

I emerged from the bathroom, my hand throbbing from repeatedly striking the
bathroom mirror. Blood oozed from the cuts on my hand.

Staring at the ring in my hand, I decided to remove it and place it in a drawer. Guilt gnawed at me as I noticed that her luggage was no longer there. I had wrongly accused her, and now she was gone.

I picked up my car keys and phone, heading out of our room. The thought of finding Sera consumed me.

"Where are you going?" my mother's voice interrupted me as I descended the stairs, dialing Sera's phone.

"To find Sera," I replied, walking toward the door.

"Thad!" My mother's call halted me, and I turned to look at her.

"What's going on? You're so obsessed with her. Why are you going to find her
at this hour? It's late, Thaddeus," my mother chided, her voice gaining a touch of concern.

I glanced at the time on my phone and realized it was just a few minutes shy of 9PM.

"I'll be back, Mom. I promise I won't stay too long," I assured her, rushing out the door.

As I sped down the road with an anxious heart, I dialed Sera's phone, hoping she'd answer.

"Please, pick up," I whispered under my breath, my eyes glued to the screen in my car.

Glancing up, I noticed I was nearing Sera's house. But before I could react, a sudden, violent collision rocked my car, sending it into a chaotic spin. My head felt muddled, and all I could do was brace myself for the impending impact.

My car tumbled repeatedly before finally coming to a crashing halt. Pain coursed through me, and I winced as shards of glass embedded themselves in my face.

Struggling to release my seatbelt became an agonizing task, and my body felt immobilized.

The car's door was forcibly yanked open, and I heard the hushed murmurs of people nearby. Two men quickly dragged me from the wreck, and the cold night air washed over my face.

Lying on my back, I gazed up at the night sky, my vision beginning to blur.

"Thad!" a voice cried out with urgency, and approaching footsteps followed. A

familiar scent enveloped me, and I gradually opened my eyes to find those green eyes staring down at me.

"Don't leave me alone," I managed to croak.

"I won't..." her voice trailed off as darkness closed in around me.

Present

I slowly opened my eyes, initially hearing muffled sounds before the voices became clearer. Expecting to see those green eyes, I was met with grey ones filled with concern.

"Thaddeus, can you hear me?" my mother's voice inquired as she leaned over me. She turned to address someone else. "He's awake, call the doctor."

I let out a soft groan, shifting my head to the right, and realized I was in a hospital.

"Mum," I croaked.

"Yes? Do you need water?" She inquired and promptly moved to get water from a large jug.

"Here," she said, offering a cup of water. She pressed a button, causing my bed to rise slightly.

I took the cup and eagerly drank the water.