Chapter 11

Past

I stepped out of the taxi and once again rejected Thad's call, which had been coming in repeatedly since I left his house just a few minutes ago.

I sighed as I entered my house and slammed the door shut behind me.

"Sera, what's wrong? I thought you said you were spending the night at Thad's place," my mum said, emerging from the kitchen.

"Well, I'm not. Not anymore," I replied, making my way upstairs with my bag.

"What happened?" she asked, clearly surprised.

"We fought. He accused me of cheating, Mum, and showed me some silly video of a girl in a bathroom," I explained, tears welling up in my eyes once more.

"What do you mean? Why would you cheat on Thad?" she asked.

"I didn't, Mum. I didn't do it. I could never cheat on him. I love him so much," I protested, my voice breaking as tears streamed down my cheeks.

She sighed and pulled me into a comforting embrace. "It's okay, sweetheart. Don't cry. You need to calm down," she reassured me.

My phone buzzed again, and Thad's name lit up on my screen.

"He's been calling me, Mum, but I don't want to talk to him, not after what he said to me," I told her, pulling away from her comforting embrace.

"You should pick up his call or go back to him, okay? You know Thad won't sleep if you're not beside him," Mum urged.

"He should try to put up with me not being by his side tonight," I retorted.

"You can't do that to him, Sera. He's probably on his way here right now. Go back to him now, and I'll bring your bags there tomorrow, okay?" Mum suggested, rubbing
my back gently.

I nodded and started making my way out of the house. "Goodnight, Mum," I said as I closed the door behind me and left our compound.

I stepped outside and tried to hail a taxi, but there was none in sight. After a few minutes of standing and rejecting multiple calls from Thad, I started walking down the street, hoping to find a taxi. It was 9 pm, and it was getting late.

His call came in again, and I sighed. Just as I was about to answer it, the call suddenly cut off. I sighed once more in frustration and continued walking down the street.

"Why are there no taxis for crying out loud?" I muttered under my breath.

A few minutes into my walk, I noticed a group of people gathered not too far away.

They were pointing at something and whispering. Intrigued, I followed their gaze and saw a red car, flipped upside down, with one side severely damaged.

It wasnevident that a serious accident had occurred, and I recognized the car immediately;
it belonged to Thad.

"No... no... no," I muttered in shock as I started running towards the scene with all my might. Two men had approached the car and yanked the door open.

They carefully pulled Thad out and laid him on the ground.

I rushed over to them and crouched down beside Thad, pulling him onto my lap as one of the men called for an ambulance.

Thad's face was covered in blood, and there were several cuts and scrapes on his body. His eyes were closed, and blood oozed from a wound on his head.