Chapter 4

As soon as I laid my eyes on him, my breath hitched in my throat. He stood there, draped in an impeccably tailored black suit that oozed expense.

His hair, meticulously gelled to the back, added an air of timeless charm to his already striking appearance.

But it wasn't just his outward appearance that left me in awe, it was the way he looked at me. His grey eyes, seemed to pierce through the depths of my

soul.

It was a gaze that I could recognize anywhere in the world, a gaze that held a deep history between us.

Our eyes locked, and I felt an unexplainable surge of emotions welling up within me.

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes as his gaze held me captive.

"Why does he look so much like him? They look so alike."

I turned my gaze away from him in a hurry, my finger finding the 21st floor button on the panel.

I just couldn't bring myself to stand next to someone who looked so much like him. The pain it stirred within me was too much to endure.

I stepped out of the elevator and began to walk away, even though my legs felt like jelly beneath me. Finding a chair, I sank into it as tears welled up in my eyes.

Why am I crying?" I wondered aloud, my trembling voice betraying my confusion.

I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason for my tears. Was it because seeing someone who resembled him brought back a flood of memories and emotions?

"Ma'am, are you okay?"

A concerned female staff member asked as she looked down at me.

She kindly offered me a tissue, and I accepted it with a soft "thank you."

Thad

I watched as the elevator door closed, leaving me alone in the elevator.

The thumping in my heart grew louder, and for the second time in a week, I had

come face to face with those mesmerizing green eyes that always seemed to make me lose control.

I clutched my head as a sharp, searing pain shot through it, and I couldn't help but groan in agony.

My phone slipped from my grasp, falling to the ground.

My head pounded relentlessly, as if it might split open at any moment.

Weakness spread through my legs, and I began to hear voices in my head, their words echoing in a chaotic chorus.

"Why do you always look at me like that? Like you're peering into my soul?" a female voice questioned.

"Because you're beautiful," a deep voice replied with a hint of vibration, followed by hearty laughter.

I let out an even louder groan as I collapsed to the elevator floor, the pounding in my head intensifying with each passing moment.

Seraphina

"Clara!" I called out as I approached her in the lodge. She was seated there, her eyes swollen, and she nervously fiddled with her fingers.

"What took you so long? I've been waiting for you," she cried out, her voice trembling.

I hurriedly pulled her into a warm embrace.

"I'm sorry. I should have come sooner," I reassured her, gently patting her back as she clung to me, sobbing into my neck.

"He left me, Sera. He didn't apologize and said it was my fault. He..."

Her sobs grew stronger, and I held her even tighter.

"It's okay now. Stop crying," I whispered, pulling away from her and wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Why are your eyes red? Did you cry for me?" she inquired, and I managed a faint smile, finding her question slightly amusing.

"No, nothing like that. Just something got into my eyes. Let's go now; we're drawing too much attention here," I replied, glancing around as a few curious onlookers directed their gaze our way.

She nodded, retrieving her bag and standing up.

Thad

"Mr. Whitlock, I've been trying to call you, but it wasn't going through. Are you okay, sir?" Mark inquired as soon as I approached my car.

His concern was evident, given my disheveled appearance. My hair was a mess from how i had clutched and squeezed it in the elevator, my tie was half undone, and my suit was wrinkled.

"Take me home, Mark," I requested, and he promptly held the car door open for me.

He could tell that I wasn't in the mood for any argument.

"Okay, sir," he replied, recognizing the need for a swift departure.

I was seething with anger, though I couldn't quite explain why. It irked me that someone's mere presence had the power to make me lose control of myself, and the thought of it frustrated me to no end.

I couldn't shake the memory of the shock on her face, as if she knew me or was simply taken

aback by seeing me.

My thoughts felt muddled, and exhaustion washed over me. All I wanted was to drift off to sleep, to escape the confusion of why I always reacted this way

upon setting my eyes on her and why she seemed so familiar.

With a heavy sigh, I yanked my tie from around my neck and tossed it onto the chair beside me.