Chapter 10

ARIA

"We have three goals at APOLLO. Faster. Smarter. Better." The words appear with animations on the board, each one in a column that together hold the logo of APOLLO. "These three goals are also our motto, one you'll see written in many places throughout the building, or also written on the walls of our garage when you go attend the prix."

A new slide appears, this one containing a timetable. "Your contract at APOLLO lasts throughout the F1 season. We want you to work as our advertisers. Post content from the garage, videos from the paddock, or some videos from our headquarters here, showing off different merch and so on. The F1 season begins in two weeks, with the first Grand Prix in Barcelona, on the 22nd of May. The last race of the year will be on the 26th of November, at the Monaco Grand Prix. During the season there will be a fourteen days break, starting the first until the fourteenth of August. Do you have any questions until now?"

Elijah's hand goes in the air. "Yes, Mr. Banks", Lewis grants him the word.

"Do we have to be present for all the Prix?"

"Good question. No, you won't have to attend the races each week. There is a plan, in which you'll rotate. We want two people mandatory at the Prix, the rest of you stays here."

Charlotte's hand goes up. "What do the people who stay here do?"

"Another good question. I won't also attend every Prix, since I also have business here in New York, so you'll post content with interviews of important people from APOLLO, or interviews of some of our employees, or you'll help edit what the people at the Prix are filming. You'll get access to the APOLLO Team official social media account, on which you'll have to post alongside your own accounts."

Sam is now having a question. Lewis takes her to word. She puts on a polite smile and asks: "Will you also be competing in the races?"

I was half-paying attention before, reading some emails at the same time, but this question has me looking up and focusing solely on the conversation. I know Lewis was a good racer. Yet I also know he quit some time ago, as he mysteriously disappeared from his public life.

"I will not", he answers, his words coming out like a hiss. "This season's racers are Levi Dyer and John Gruff. And if you came here just to watch me race, I'll suggest you walk away now."

Sam swallows hard yet remains on her chair. Lewis, who is now pissed, since I had enough time spent with the guy in the last few days and I started getting to know him, looks at the five influencers once more and asks: "Any further questions so far or can we move on?"

None of them dares to ask anything else, even if they would have had questions.

"Perfect. Attending the first Grand Prix will be Mr. Oswell and Ms. Berg. Until then, I want you all here, so you'll be able to get some basic knowledge in what means F1."

Lewis takes another break. "Do you have any questions?"

No one raises their hand.

"Wonderful. In that case I wish you all a productive time here at APOLLO."

Lewis gets off stage and comes straight to me, his gaze telling me he wants us to get out of here. I nod understanding and quickly stand up, following him out the room. As we're on the hallway, I make myself the courage to ask the one thing I can't help wondering. "Will I also be attending the Prix?"

He stops and turns around to look at me. "What did I tell you, Miss Grant? Where I go, you go."

"So are we going to the Prix?", I don't back down, excitement growing inside me by the second.

Lewis rolls his eyes, trying to seem annoyed but I know he's actually amused. "We're going to the Prix."

I can't help but squeal once, earning myself a death stare from my boss.

But I don't care.

I'm going to the Prix.