Chapter 37

ARIA

"He didn't lie, you know?", Mya tells me. I look at her surprised, forcing my gaze off the beautiful pastel purple dress we found in one of the shops. Mya looks at me worried though. "I know what he did ain't fair, not telling you sooner, but he didn't lie. I heard your talk from in front of the door. He wasn't lying as he said he doesn't have someone else."

"But, Winter...", I let out.

She shakes her head. "Winter is Lewis' daughter, but her mother isn't coming back. And that's for the best."

I don't dare ask any other questions, of why she said that, but I for sure think it.

"Black or blue?", she asks, holding two versions of a cocktail dress.

I point with my finger at the pastel blue one.

Mya smiles. "That's the one I was going for too."

~

"Where have you been?", Lewis greets us as we park the car back in front of the house. He was already outside, like waiting for us. Something uneasy goes through me at that thought.

"Shopping", Mya says, pointing at the many bags in her hands. My bags are in the back of the trunk, and I'm carrying more of her bags right now. Her Chanel bag filled with new makeup. A box of shoes. The girl meant it when she said we were shopping.

"I was so worried", he says that, mostly looking at me. He also talks solely to me as he adds: "I tried calling and texting you but you didn't respond."

"I was busy", I answer cold.

He must have sensed the shift in my tone, since he sends Mya a glare telling her she should get lost. Scoffing once, she does as he asked her and walks inside, but not before taking her bags from my hands too. As she's close, she whispers to me: "Shout and I'll come". I send her a thankful look, and she walks inside smiling.

Lewis comes a step closer to me, I remain frozen on spot. "I'm sorry", he whispers. I know he wants to cup my face in his palms, from the way he keeps flexing his fingers. A part of me wishes he would. A part of me is thankful he doesn't. "I wanted to tell you", he continues, his voice shaking now. "I wanted to tell you but I was afraid. Afraid I'll lose you once you know."

"Why would you lose me?", I ask him worried. "You said there isn't any other woman."

"Winnie and I come as a package. If you were to be with me, she'll eventually become part of your life. I wasn't sure if that's something you would agree with."

"I don't mind it", I say, thinking about her. "And I love you", I add.

He looks at me surprised.

I nod. "I love you", I repeat. I wrap my hands around him and sink my head in his chest. "I just wished you'd have told me sooner. My answer would have still been the same. And we wouldn't have had to waste so much time."

"I'm sorry I didn't", he whispers, pressing his lips on the top of my head. "I am sorry. I love you too."

I look up at him, to see it in his eyes if he truly means it. He does. I smile and he gives me a short kiss on my lips at that. "I love you so much", he whispers.

I think we just stay like that for a while. Hugging. Saying more words with our silence than any number of sentences ever could.

After some time, he tips me on the waist to get my attention and I look up at him. He's smiling at me.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Really?", I can't help but ask, since this seems like a pretty important step in our relationship.

He nods. "I made lasagna."

"I don't want to intrude...", I mumble feeling very nervous.

He kisses me again. "You're never intruding." Another kiss. "And besides, I cooked more than enough anyway."

Excitement starts growing in me. "In that case..."

He is smiling at me as he lets go, but still holds my hand while leading me through the door.