Chapter 36

ARIA

As I drive my car down the pathway leading to the entrance of the house, I remain shocked. This place isn't a house. It's a villa. Gardens with small fountains and beautiful flowers surrounding me, all leading to the huge building in a modern style, that has a bunch of cars parked in front of it. And when I say cars, I mean full-time expensive sports car.

"Who the heck is this guy?!", I can't help but mumble.

After parking my tinny whinny Mini next to the monstrosity of a SUV, I walk outside and make sure my look is okay. This is the first time I come at Lewis' home, and I wasn't even invited by him but by Mya. I am here to pick her up so that we can go to the city centre and have a shopping spree.

My white dress is alright, so are the heels I matched with it and my lucky necklaces. The waves of my hair are in a bun, a small purse in my hand with my phone, my wallet, car keys and a lip gloss.

I'm ready.

I walk up the stairs and to the door and press with my finger on the doorbell. Once. Twice. I stop at three times. Don't want to be annoying. I usually have a desire to throw a shoe at anyone who rings more than three times.

The door opens and I am already with my gaze up high to meet Lewis' eyes. The guy is way taller than me, so I always have to look up.

Only I don't meet any pair of eyes.

I keep going lower and lower til my gaze sets on a little girl. She's small, probably around five years old, and is holding the plushie of a pink fairy bunny. Her blonde hair is in two ponytails, she's wearing a pretty pastel yellow dress and some fluffy white socks. She looks at me surprised.

Guilt starts going throughout my body. What if he's married? I destroyed a marriage. I ruined a family. The girl will grow up and eventually find out I was the one her father cheated on her mother with, and then she'll hate me and will never forgive me.

Maybe it's his niece.

She's not.

She's his daughter.

For she may not have his brown hair but her eyes... That shade of blue. It's the same one Lewis has. Those are his eyes.

"Wow", the girl lets out, in the sweetest voice I have ever heard. "You look like a princess." I open my mouth to say something, but she already started smiling and clapping her hands. "Daddy", she says a bit louder, to be able to be heard from inside the house. "There's a princess at the door."

"A princess", I can hear Lewis ask. Daddy. My knees might give up at any point, fearing the point the girl will call her Mom to come here too, and she'll see me and know I am the one he... "Now, let's see how this princess looks like...", he wants to say, but as soon as he spots me, he freezes.

And doesn't move.

Doesn't say anything.

I'm pretty sure he stopped breathing for a few seconds too.

"Aria...", he lets out.

One word.

One tone.

Enough to ruin my whole world.

I'd rather scream and run away, yet I can still see the girl looking curious at us. And no matter how betrayed I feel, for Lewis not telling me he has a family, and that I was indeed the other woman all along, and that I might ruin a marriage and make this child's life even more complicated, the girl has no fault. And I can't just leave her like this.

I bend down on my knees to reach the same eye level as her and offer her my hand. "Hi", I begin. She quickly takes my hand and shakes it a few times. Her smile is so bright this whole time, it's almost contagious. Almost. "I'm Aria", I continue. "I work for your Daddy."

"Ooh", she lets out, looking at Lewis, then at me, back at Lewis, back at me.

"Winter", her father says, fake coughing once. The girl gets the hint and introduces herself. "I'm Winnie", she begins. "And I'm five", she adds, reaching her hand proud to show five fingers. "And this is Mr. Magic", she says that, presenting me her plushie. It reminds me of Ollie.

I need Ollie.

I take hold of one of the plushie's hands and shake it as in a greeting. "A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Magic", I tell him. Winnie looks at me surprised, but she smiles so bright, happy that I also shook his hand.

Lewis looks at the scene lost in thoughts, until he pulls himself together and lets out: "Winnie, why don't you go finish your drawing? I'll be right there to help you in a second."

"But...", she wants to protest.

"It will only take a little while", he counters, yet his voice is still patient. Nothing like the tone I am used to him using when he wants to get something at the office.

Winnie sighs annoyed, then, after looking at me once, she says: "Nice to meet you, Aria." She runs-dances back inside the house.

Lewis steps outside and I guess he has his key with him, because he closes the door behind him, leaving me and him on the staircase. I stand up, since I don't want him looking down at me.

"Aria...", he tells me again. "Please", he continues. "I can explain."

"You lied", it's all I'm able to say. "You told me there isn't anyone. You told me you didn't have a wife or girlfriend."

"There is not", he quickly replies. "Aria, please. Sweetheart, let me explain."

The door opens and Mya walks outside, wearing a very expensive-looking short black dress with some white sneakers and a black bow styling her hair. A small black handbag on her shoulders, she seems ready.

"Can we go?", she asks me, as if sensing I need help out of here.

I nod, turning with my back at Lewis, willing to go as far away from him as possible.

"Aria...", I can hear him say as I walk over to my car.

I only look back as I close the car door.