3. fear

POPPY ELLISON

The entire journey home, I think I'm about to vomit everywhere.

I couldn't go back over to Christopher whilst Gabriel was there, he'd know something was up or presume that I'm batshit crazy. Most likely both.

My stomach rolls and rolls and I brace myself. Rexx is going to want juicy details and I have absolutely nothing to share with him. My fingers grip onto the door handle and I close my eyes, attempting to calm my breathing.

He might be in a good mood. Never. He is never in a good mood.

When the driver pulls up outside the house I've been kept in for the last two years, I fish around in my purse for some money. I pray I have enough, Rexx gives me the bare minimum and says I have to figure everything else out.

He believes that men throw their money at me left, right and centre but he couldn't be more wrong.

The driver waves his hand at me in the rear mirror and I glance up. "Cabs already paid for, miss." He tells me.

I blink once and then twice. "It is?"

He nods. "Yup."

Who paid for the cab? Gabriel? I know he had the security guard escort me out of the building so I was safe... so I was safe. My heart clenches for a second before I shake my thoughts away.

"Okay..." I pop open the door. "Thank you."

"Have a good night, miss."

As he drives away, I pull down my skirt and walk through the gates to Rexx's mansion. I enter the code on the touchpad and I grab my key to get into the house. The lights are off when I step inside and I presume that Rexx is either asleep or out.

I silently creep through the house and successfully make it to my bedroom without exhaling a whisper of a breath. My ankles are shaking in my heels and hopefully this gives me the night to think through what I'm going to say to him tomorrow.

Absolute shit. I'm going to have to make up absolute shit.

As I strip myself of my clothes and get into comfortable pyjamas, I wash my face in my bathroom and slip inside my bed. I lay my head on the pillow but my eyes are wide open and I cannot shake the nausea inside me.

He's going to be angry. So fucking angry.

Christopher was important, a big asset to his criminal activities.

I raise my shaky fingers and brush over the bumpy scar on my neck. I was stitched up with another small tracker placed inside me. My eyes swell with tears because I'm frustrated, I'm always frustrated.

Every day I live in fear and even though I'm counting down the years to my freedom, it never feels like it's coming soon enough. I might as well perish here because I'll have nothing left in me when it's time for me to leave.

I'll be a ghost of a woman with nothing but pure vengeance for having a part of my life taken away for me. A death sentence I don't even deserve.

I wish I kept my mouth shut that day. I wish I never saw what I saw.

The next morning I attempt a lay in but it's impossible. I can't sleep for the life of me. I barely slept at all. I've been tossing and turning all night, fretting over what Rexx is going to demand of me today.

What bullshit lies I can come up with that won't make him realise I didn't find out anything.

I take a quick shower and brush through my long red hair.