26. safety

POPPY ELLISON

Sanger's texts alarmed me straight away. If I go home tonight I know full well Rexx is going to release his wrath on anyone he can. I have no idea what went on but quite frankly I don't want to know.

His message said it all.

Rexx killed four people on the spot tonight. He's literally going crazy. Taken a few punches to my face for some leverage but he's practically trashing the house. Don't come home, Poppy. I fear what might happen if you do. Please find a friend's house to crash at, I don't want you getting hurt. Text me so I know you're safe.

My stomach cramped up at the sight. Of course I had to read it right in front of Gabriel and then hide my reaction instantly. I couldn't keep the message to myself–not without twisting the narrative a little. Inside I had no idea whose house I could stay at but the thought of going home made nausea creep up in my chest.

That's why I mentioned it and felt relieved and anxious at the thought of Gabriel offering for me to stay at his house. Lonzo despises me–he doesn't think I'm good for Alexia. That or he's sussed something out but right now I'm too tired, too much in pain to care about that.

It's either get beaten to shit or get beaten to shit. If it happens at Gabriel's house, at least he'll be there to attempt to put a stop to it. I'd like to hope. Even if I've betrayed his trust in every way possible.

Gabriel drives me back to his house. The journey is silent as I rest my head onto the window and stare out at the morning that rolls in but it's still pitch black. My ankle throbs and I need some rest more than I need anything else right now.

As we approach the gates to his house, he pulls up and cuts the engine. I attempt to open the door and step onto the gravelly floor but he's right in front of me, helping me out. "Relax, Red," he hisses through his teeth as he grabs onto my waist before I fall on my weak ankle. "There is no rush."

I nod, grabbing onto him to balance myself out. "Are you sure about this?" I ask, suddenly feeling uneasy.

Gabriel's dark brows crease. "I'm certain."

The tone of his voice wraps me up in a tight blanket of safety I had no idea I could feel. Especially late at night with a man I'm meant to be spying on. He isn't like the rest and that's what makes me fall for him every damn time I see him.

He wraps an arm around my waist, my hand sliding over his shoulder as I lean into him and he walks us towards security that are patrolling around their house. We're let in instantly, without being questioned or checked which is a first for me.

As soon as we're inside he settles me down on the sofa. "Let me grab you an ice pack for the night in case it starts to really hurt."

"You don't hav–" I call out but he's already walking off.

I slump back into the pillows and watch him stroll away. He takes off his jacket in the process and drapes it over a kitchen stool before rolling up his sleeves and digging around the kitchen. I press my elbow into the back of the sofa and roll my index finger and thumb across my forehead, a light ache forming there.

My body shivers when Gabriel returns. He walks with purpose, beelining to me as if he's on a time limit. But he doesn't just have an ice pack, he has a fresh bottle of water and a bunch of painkillers. It's like he could read my mind.

"Where do you want to sleep tonight?" He asks as he stops directly in front of me.

I stare up at him. My eyes focus on his broad shoulders and his bare forearms that are impressively muscly. I purse my lips quickly. "Wherever you want me." I whisper.