19. celebrations

POPPY ELLISON

I've been stupidly clutching onto my phone for the last two days, waiting for an answer to the auditions on Saturday. I didn't tell Rexx, not so he could laugh in my face when I got rejected. I don't need any more insecurities on my shoulders.

They said they'd be in touch. When exactly will that be?

I slump against my desk. I've never felt so liberated as I did in that hour of letting myself go.

My body followed the music, it was like a natural instinct.

Dance was once a hobby, now I think it could be a lifeline. It will also make going to Dark Suite all the time less suspicious–that's if I'm successful in getting the job.

Now that I think of it I was probably a little stiff. Not enough facial expressions. Not enough power. I haven't trained in over two years. The other dancers were much better than me, I tried my hardest not to look at them and compare but it was hard. I felt everything inside to the point that I forgot I was even auditioning at moments.

It was just me and the music. As cheesy and cliche as that sounds.

I haven't had that much freedom with my body in such a good time it made me want to cry with joyful tears. It was like being stuck in a box this entire time and I finally managed to get myself out.

When my bedroom becomes tedious, I push myself up from my desk and walk through the house. I know Rexx is out with Tristan at a job and they didn't need me. Thank God. I haven't recovered from the restaurant situation. I've never been so disgusted that even looking at Rexx's face makes me want to retch.

My bare feet patter the floor, I clutch my phone in my right hand. I open the back doors to find Sanger pacing the patio, taking into his phone. He glances at me and offers a smile, I flash him one back.

The sun hits me directly in the face and I glance up at the sky, closing my eyes for a moment and enjoying the warmth. It's as much as a redhead can take before they start to burn.

Sanger speaks but he walks to the opposite end of the patio. I glance inside, relieved to remember that there aren't any cameras outside and Rexx shouldn't be smashing either of our hands in for speaking to each other.

My phone begins to buzz in my hands and I glance at the screen not recognising the number. I press my thumb to the screen and lift it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Poppy?" Zane's voice shoots straight through the receiver.

My heart races. "Hi, yes. It is."

"Hi, Poppy," his voice is like silk. Warm and inviting. It makes my shoulders relax a tiny bit. "I was just calling to let you know that we have selected you to be a dancer at Dark Suite."

I feel my jaw hang open. "Oh my God," I clap a hand over my mouth. "Are you serious?"

He laughs gently. "Yes. Deadly. You have amazing talent, Poppy. We'd love to have you at the club. What do you think?"

"What do I think?" I exhale with a bright smile. "I'm thinking yes. Thank you. Thank you!"

Pride burns through my chest. I've been proud of myself before but this is something new. The emotion is so raw because I haven't felt it in such a long time.

"You're welcome. We'll send more information over including a contract with pay and hours, a staff handbook. Take your time and read through them, send them back when you have the chance."

My cheeks burn from smiling so much. "Thank you so much. You have no idea how much you've made my day."

"Oh, and Poppy?"