17. tipsy

POPPY ELLISON

I didn't want to go home. I don't even want to call that place home.

It's a hellhole.

The thought of facing Rexx after what he and Tristan did, it makes my chest feel heavy with nausea all over again. Gabriel's house makes me feel safe–he makes me feel safe.

I wish I could tell him all about my past, how I wound up in Rexx's possession and why I'm sacrificing years of my life to this man. But I know I can't. I'll be a traitor to him and Lonzo included, they'll both do anything to protect Alexia.

Regardless of what I tell them I'm still a liar. Lonzo will put a bullet between my eyes before I can even blink. So I push that idea to the back of my brain and remind myself that the only way out of this is to complete my remaining six years.

If I'm not already dead by then.

Gabriel says he'll drop me home but I beg him to order a cab. I don't want him knowing where I live, I don't want him knowing anything and being able to put two and two together before I get the chance to explain myself.

But deep down I know I'll never get to explain myself for what I've caused him because I'll either be ten feet under or he'll ignore my existence.

This hurts a thousand times more when you start getting attached.

Alexia is the first girl in this town that has shown me kindness. Gabriel is practically the first man who has looked at me without focusing on my breasts or my ass, he wanted to get to know me as a person more than getting me into bed.

As I walk through the front door of Rexx's house, I keep my eyes low. He'll taunt me for running away, for acting like this. As if all the trauma he's put me through won't eventually destroy me.

The door shuts behind me as I walk towards the kitchen. My skin prickles with goosebumps and I know Rexx and Tristan are sitting around the kitchen counter. I don't even know what the time is but it's not like Rexx can't track me with the tracker in the back of my neck.

"Ah, there you are," Rexx's chipped voice makes me flinch inside. "I was wondering where you went."

He wasn't wondering. He knew all along.

I avoid them and attempt to walk to my bedroom. I can't bear to face that monster.

A killer.

"Poppy," his voice snaps and I raise my shoulders, standing still as a statue. "Don't walk away from me when I'm fucking talking to you!"

Slowly I twist around to face him but my eyes are still low. My blood roars in my ears and I refuse to get angry at a man who will never change, not for anyone or anything. He'll always be a cold-hearted asshole.

"Sorry," I whisper.

"Is there any reason why you ran off today when I gave you a direct order?"

My jaw clamps down and I raise my gaze towards his. I ignore Tristan because he's glaring at me with a permanent scowl. "I didn't know what to do," I admit. "Y-You killed them."

He shrugs. "I've killed lots of people."

I close my eyes instantly. Not wanting to be reminded.

"What did that child do to you?" I ask, the words falling quicker than I register them.

"Evidence," he dismisses my question and returns to his phone.

My nostrils flare in anger but I say nothing more. "Can I go to my room now?"