5. good job

POPPY ELLISON

When I wake up the next morning, I feel a lot lighter than I have before. Roberto Ricci gave me all the answers I wanted for Rexx. Some guys hold things back, others get drunk and demand a lay before they even consider expressing their deepest, darkest secrets.

They love a good talk in bed after to rid them of their sins.

Others chuck me out. Others don't even need one glass of wine to tell me things that they definitely shouldn't.

Roberto being one of them. He was handsy but not as forceful as Christopher.

And when Gabriel appeared beside me, I feared what would happen when Roberto turned up at my side again. He excused himself to the mens room, then took an important call. He wasn't pleased to see Gabriel accompanying me at the bar to say the least. It was obvious he was rather territorial even though we had only met that night.

Needy. Needy men.

I didn't enjoy Gabriel's intrusive tone when he said that it seems like I'm doing my own 'business'. Does he think I'm an escort or something?

All I know is I need to keep him at arm's length. He's becoming far too interested in my life and I don't want him ruining anything. If he keeps getting in the way of the men I need to interrogate, I'll be at the wrath of Rexx.

As sweet as Gabriel seems. I'm in defence mode. Keep him the fuck away from me so I can do my job in peace.

I step out of my bed and take a shower before going to the kitchen. Rexx is already there with Tristan, discussing something between the pair of them over breakfast. I hate Tristan with a passion, ever since he chased after me when I attempted to escape... I'll forever hold a grudge against him for not letting me go.

Sick fucker.

Rexx's mouth slaps shut as he sees me inch nearer. "Ahh, Poppy," he flashes me a slimy smile. "I was wondering when you would be awake. Late night?"

"Could say that," I mumble before grabbing the coffee pot and pouring myself a mug.

Even though I am Rexx's prisoner here, I am welcome to do as I please to keep my energy up. I can eat what I want, drink what I want. At first I was terrified, not wanting to touch any of his food or be in this house. But after time, I realised feeling famished and dehydrated wasn't going to help my cause.

If I want to get out of here, I have to keep my body alive and do as I say.

Six years and counting.

I take a large sip of coffee and lean onto the counter. My eyes catch a glimpse of Tristan as he stares back at me with a smug expression. I have no idea why he's looking at me like a possessed Cheshire Cat but it's off putting.

Tristan has always been creepy, making inappropriate jokes at the worst times.

The first rule his men were instructed is to stay away from me. Not to try and bed me, not to hurt me (unless force is really needed), not to harass me. Except Tristan always goes out of his way to make me feel extra uncomfortable.

I've imagined chopping off his balls and replacing them with his eyes instead–multiple times.

Rexx clears his throat and straightens out the sleeves of his shirt. "Please enlighten me with what happened with Roberto," he nods. "I presume you have information to discuss."

I lower my mug and nod. "He told me a lot." I admit. Thank the fucking Lord he did because Rexx still isn't over the Christopher situation.

"Go on," he gestures with a hand.