22. avoid

GABRIEL DALTON

The kiss wasn't enough. She's still avoiding me. I have no idea why but I intend to find out.

All of the visits I've paid Dark Suite, she's here most of the time. I don't mean to stare at her as she dances but I can't help myself–she captivates the room without even trying. After her shift she leaves when Zane has me in his office or he needs my help with a situation.

I've known Poppy merely a few months but she's in my system, in my fucking veins and I can't get her out of my damn head. No matter how hard I try. From the first time I met her, there has always been something that has drawn me in.

Or maybe it's the fact I now have a massive thing for redheads. One redhead.

The only thing that is making me feel somewhat better is knowing that Alexia isn't happy with Lonzo telling her what to do. I heard them arguing the other day but by the sounds of things, Poppy has been avoiding Alexia's too.

Lonzo is still digging for more dirt on her but I haven't been asking. Zane would have had her vetted for her job at Dark Suite and I know he takes those sorts of things very seriously. Yet he hired her in a heartbeat.

At this point I know Lonzo is reaching. He's so desperate for dirt on her that he won't stop until Ray has found something that he can use against her. I hate that he's doing this and I'm glad Alexia is annoyed at him.

Now I want to know why she's blocking me out, Alexia included. It doesn't make sense.

That kiss. Fuck. That kiss felt wildly consuming yet the most natural thing I've ever experienced. I'm still remembering the outline of her lips and the way she tasted. My body tingling at the memory of her small frame moulding into mine, giving, submitting.

But then it was over in a flash. She stared up at me with those big green eyes, wiped her mouth and pushed me away without another word. I watched her leave and waited until she got in a cab safely before heading home myself.

She's been on my mind ever since. Those damned pink lips. And right now... is the last place I want her in my brain because I need to focus. Lonzo called us to an important job with other men in the city.

Considering we're barely on talking terms, the tensions between us are high but we don't want anyone else to know that. Business between the empire stays within the empire, it's as simple as that.

Frankie glares back at us across the table, so many rings on his fingers I can barely count. They almost represent each one of his wives considering he's been married too many times to count.

"I'm taking half," Lonzo's voice is loud and sharp, like a knife.

"Mmm," Frankie leans forward as his men surround him. Lonzo brought as many of his men as well, although Frankie is outnumbered and it shows. "And what do I get if you get half?"

Lonzo shrugs as if he couldn't care less. "A percentage of my choosing."

Frankie turns his nose up at Lonzo's suggestion. "A percentage?" He repeats. "Do you forget who I am?"

"Do you forget who I am?" Lonzo's voice drops to dark and deep.

I blink once and keep my eyes firmly on Frankie, hands in front of me as I stand by Lonzo at the end of the table. I watch as the man flares his nostrils in our direction, jaw clenching. He knows that if he tries anything his head will be blown off in a matter of seconds.

His men might be powerful but Lonzo's are deadlier.

Frankie rolls a coin between his fingers, chewing something in his mouth. "What's the percentage?"