13. torture

POPPY ELLISON

When I leave Gabriel's later that night, I've got a real smile on my face for the first time in a long time. The thought of having to play a game of questions with Gabriel made me nervous at first but when he doesn't press when I don't want to answer, it makes my anxiety settle for a little bit so I can at least enjoy my time with him.

Every other man I've been forced to spy on is nothing like Gabriel.

I wish he was an asshole so this whole situation would be a thousand times easier but he's an angel on earth. I try to ignore my guilty conscience and focus on the fun I had, the tacos were a bonus on top of the company.

Though I wish we would meet under better circumstances.

If he ever found out what I've been doing. Bile rises in my throat automatically.

My head shakes. No. I need to stop thinking before I give myself a blind panic attack.

As I approach Rexx's house and walk through the gates and open up the door with my key and fingerprint, I'm startled when I hear loud screaming inside. I twist my head inside as the door shuts behind me.

I gag at the sight before me.

Sanger is on his knees on a plastic sheet, Tristan is holding his head by the strands of his hair whilst Rexx is situated directly in front of him. Sanger's entire face is busted up, blood dripping from his nose and over his lips. I make the mistake of looking down to his hands, his index is bent at an angle that has me heaving and his pinky finger dangles like the bone has been snapped clean off.

"W-Wha–" the words barely form in my mouth as I stare back at them in horror.

Rexx glances over his shoulder at my entrance. "Oh, Poppy. There you are." His voice is the polar opposite of his current actions. He's a fucking monster.

"What are you doing?" My throat burns as I force the tears in my eyes to fall back into my head.

Sanger gargles out a moan of agony which results in Tristain tightening his grip on his hair. I can't take my eyes off Sanger as he squeezes his eyes shut and hisses through his teeth, splatters of blood falling from his mouth.

"Did you guys think I wouldn't find out about your little truce?" Rexx straightens the sleeves of his white shirt that are now stained with crimson blood.

My lips fall open. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play stupid, Poppy," he spits, nostrils flaring. "I have cameras in the house. I'm not going to be taken for a fool. So drop the act before I cut his entire hand off."

I draw in a sharp breath and shake my head pathetically. "D-Don't."

Sanger opens his eyes again a few seconds later and stares directly at me. My heart pounds in my chest. Fuck. He doesn't deserve this. He doesn't deserve this pain. Not when we've both been helping each other out for the last two years.

Rexx turns back around and grabs Sanger's broken finger. He extends his head and howls in pain and I choke out a sob. "Stop it," I beg, my hands clutching together in front of me. "Please. Please stop."

I glance over at Tristan who is smirking proudly at me. No doubt he snitched.

When I'm met with Rexx's deadly eyes again, I shiver in my shoes. "So are you going to admit that you've been getting closer than I asked? I said to stay away from my men."

My lips begin to tremble. "It was both of us," I sob. "I felt lonely and I needed someone at the time. I was in pain."

The last time Sanger helped me out was when Rexx attempted to drown me in the bath, he held me to him and stayed with me until I was okay to breathe. Tristan probably blabbed to Rexx and made him check the cameras because he's a kiss-ass.