16. safety

GABRIEL DALTON

I hate working at the warehouse. It's the same thing day in, day out. But since Lonzo has been on a work call all day, we need things to be shipped today. I guess it makes me appreciate coming home in the evenings.

As I perch on Lonzo's office chair, I scan through some documents for the pick up later. A knock at the door stirs me and I lean back. "Come in," I call out but I don't take my eyes off the paperwork on the desk.

"Gabriel," I hear Ray's voice.

"What is it?"

"I have Ty on the phone. Lonzo's phone is engaged so he needs to speak to someone urgently."

I groan quietly. I hate speaking to Ty. He's an asshole who doesn't take no for an answer and I can't be dealing with it right now. "Tell him to call back later."

"He keeps calling."

My shoulders raise only to release them. "Then let him call."

Ray huffs out a breath and I glance up at him slowly. "Alright," he shakes his head.

When he leaves he shuts the door behind him, only for my phone to start vibrating in my pocket. "Fuck sake," I groan and silence it without looking at the screen. I place it face down on the desk and focus on the work in front of me.

I need it done in the next twenty minutes or we can say goodbye to a big chunk of money. Lonzo would be fucking livid if I didn't close this deal and time is running out. I check and double check all the figures, making sure everything is correct.

The wooden table begins to vibrate, my phone ringing again. No doubt it's Ty and he's going to go ballistic at me but right now I couldn't care less, he can wait ten minutes until I've finished.

But when my phone doesn't stop ringing, I bite back a groan and I turn it over. I blink when I see my sister's name on the screen and I can only imagine that she's ringing because it's an emergency-she's at the house with Lonzo.

I press my thumb to the green button and raise the phone up to my ear. "Lex?"

"Oh my God, Gabriel. I've been ringing and ringing." She rushes. "Lonzoansweredthedoorandpoppywastherewithblood-"

"Alexia," I snap with a frustrated tone. "Take a breath. I can't hear a word you're saying."

When she sucks in a breath and I stare at the wall, she says, "Poppy," her voice is strained. "She turned up at our door, covered in blood."

"What?" I shoot out of my seat. "Is she hurt? Is she okay?"

"I-I don't know," she stammers. "She's in shock, she isn't talking. Lonzo doesn't know what to do, I need some help, Gabriel. Please, I'm worried about her."

Something hits my sternum uncomfortably and I exhale a quiet sigh, my eyes scan the work on my desk that still needs completing. But the thought of Poppy being alone and terrified-it doesn't sit well with me at all. The protective instincts take over, especially after she told me about her altercation with her housemate.

Although I don't completely believe it.

"I'm on my way," I say as I grab my keys. "Don't let her leave."

"I won't," she says before I cut off the call.

I gather my things and head out of the warehouse, telling Ray that I've got something important to take care of. He doesn't question what's going on and now I can't stop thinking about Poppy being covered in blood.