9. trapped

GABRIEL DALTON

"I'm going to kill that fucker," Lonzo growls as we leave the warehouse and climb into his car. "And it's not going to be pleasant."

I glance at him as I slide into the driver's seat. We both know it's best for me to drive when he's in a mood like this or he'll end up flipping the car and killing us both. "You don't know the full story yet." I say as I start the engine and pull away from the building.

Lonzo rests his elbow on the ledge against the window and bites down on his fist, eyes taking in the dark night as we drive home. "I know that he's late on payments and I'm not going to be anyone's bitch anymore. After the shit with Landon, I'm not letting anyone walk all over us."

"So you'll kill this guy and then how will you get the money?" I say as I quirk a brow at him but keep my eyes firmly on the road ahead.

His nostrils flare and he shakes his head. He knows he's right but he blows up at the tiniest piece of information. Clearly his holiday away with Alexia didn't refresh his mindset, it seems to have heightened it.

"I need to scare him, show him exactly what I'll do if I don't get the money."

"And I thought you were trying your hardest not to be so deadly now that you've met Alexia."

Lonzo glances at me at the sound of her name. "This is different. And you know I wouldn't let Alexia be involved with anything violent now, if she's not there, then I have a green pass to do whatever the fuck I want."

That statement in itself is unbelievable considering Lonzo's past. But now he actively makes different decisions in case Alexia would be affected in any way. She can't bear anymore death, blood and violence. She's had her fair share of traumatic experiences and now Lonzo will do everything in his power to protect her from it.

As we pull up to the house, Lonzo slams the door to his own car which only happens when he's furious. I follow after him as we walk through the security to get into the house, Lonzo steps inside and I glance over to the living room to find Alexia and Poppy sitting together.

I blink once when I spot Poppy's face, her hair swept up into a ponytail and her red hair dangling down her back in loose bouncy curls. Alexia glances at me and then to Lonzo as he storms upstairs without even saying hello, probably because he doesn't want to kick off with company present.

"Everything okay?" Alexia stands from the sofa and walks towards me as I shrug off my jacket.

I shake my head. "He's not in a good way."

Alexia chews on her lip and then turns back to Poppy. She smiles at my sister and nods encouragingly, as if she can read her mind. "Go see if he's okay," she says.

"Are you sure?"

Poppy nods simply. "Sure."

"Okay," she says before hurrying up the stairs after Lonzo. "I'll be back."

The fact that the injuries on Poppy's face still haven't healed makes my stomach clench. She's not wearing make-up today but it's been a few days since I saw her at Dark Suite so they're on their way to being fully healed, the bruising now yellow and her eye is only slightly bloodshot.

Her green eyes land on mine for a few moments, I study her throat as it clenches. Only now have I noticed how slender her neck is, collarbones showing at the top of her square neck t-shirt. "Is he okay?" Poppy asks cautiously.

I nod. "Just work stuff. It'll blow over. Lonzo always needs a few moments to calm down."

"I see," she says and pushes herself up from the sofa. "I should go."