18. exquisite

GABRIEL DALTON

When Zane asked if I wanted to attend the dance auditions for his club, it was a no brainer. He sees me as a valuable business partner now, seeing from a different view. Although I have to admit I am mostly coming to see if Poppy makes an appearance.

Ever since she said she could dance, I've been intrigued.

I wasn't lying when I said that she looked good on the dance floor and I'm not ashamed to admit I was watching. Zane was too. We both know that she has talent and I'm ready to see how she looks when she's doing a choreographed piece.

The lower floor of the club is cleared and the choreographer that Zane hired comes early. He set the day up so the dancers would learn an hour's worth of material and then they would dance in groups at the end to showcase what they've got.

So far thirty people have arrived. I find myself watching the door as Zane talks to Iris, the choreographer. I don't even want to ask how he found her but apparently she's very talented and I'm ready to see what the dancers have in store.

As it approaches twelve o'clock I start becoming apprehensive. I saw her eyes light up at the thought of auditioning, it's obvious she wanted to but lacked confidence. She always walks around as if someone is muttering negative comments in her ear.

I'll never know why because in my eyes she's probably the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

I shake my head. Probably? No, she is. Without a doubt.

"Right," Zane clears his throat and gathers the attention of the dancers. I curse in my mind and glance at the door again. "I think we all should be her–"

The door swings open and I spot that familiar set of long red hair. I smile instantly. Her skin is a little flushed as if she ran here and I'm surprised to see her hair slightly frizzy with different shaped curls. It's not like I've seen before when it's straight or perfectly curled.

It looks like her natural hair and it suits her so damn much.

"Sorry," she mutters as she sneaks in and drops her bag.

Zane smiles. "Come in, Poppy."

My shoulders relax a little as she strips off her jacket and joins the other dancers, she hasn't yet seen my face but I'm enjoying having eyes on her first. She glances over the others and lowers her gaze.

"Well as I was saying," Zane's loud voice booms across the club. "I think we should all be here now. This is Iris, she is your choreographer today. She'll get you all warmed up and then you will learn the routine and then audition at the end."

A few of them nod in recognition of the timetable. I glance over at Poppy, she's still looking at the floor hesitantly and it makes me frown.

Come on, Poppy. I say in my head. Show them what you've got.

They start to warm up and I try not to linger on her for too long, spreading my attention across everyone else but it's proving to be difficult. As they begin to move their bodies and warm up their muscles, Zane pauses beside me.

"Now I know why you wanted to come when I asked," he mutters quietly.

I roll my eyes and nudge his shoulder with mine but there is a ghost of a smile on his face.

After the warm up Iris urges them to move forward, spread out. Poppy is shoved to the front and she's standing directly in front of me. She glances around until those eyes land on mine and she blinks in surprise.