Chapter 3

Timeskip
(A few days later)

Nareum's pov

Mrs Hong came to me the other day and had a task for me. I had to come up with a good way to promote our latest product. I agreed to take up the challenge even though I was new.

“You have to complete this by today, by the way. I hope you're perfecting it by now”
Mrs Hong told me.

“Yea, I just have to print out a few things”
I stood up and headed to the printing room.

On the way there, I bumped into someone when turning the corner. 

“Sorry-”
I stopped when I looked up.

That cafeteria guy.

He gave me a cold look and walked past me along with his colleague, I suppose. I realise they're always stuck together like glue.

But why does that guy walk as if he owns this place?

I brushed it off and walked into the printing room to collect the posters that I designed with Eunseo. I happily brought it back to the office and showed it off to Eunseo.

“Great! Let's show it to Mrs Hong”
Eunseo brought me to Mrs Hong's desk.

We greeted her and started explaining our plan, but she stopped us halfway.

“Pause, you shouldn't show your work to me. You should show this to the boss himself”
She said.

Huh?!
Eunseo and I said in shock.

“But we've never met him”
I tried to reason out with her.

“What do you mean? You've seen him at your job interviews”
She replied, confused.

“No, we were just hired. I thought you knew. Same goes for Nareum”
Eunseo said.

“Well, everyone has a first for everything. You should get going. Just go up to the 10th floor. To your right will be his office. I'll notify them now”
Mrs Hong texted someone on her phone.

Eunseo and I shared a worrisome look as we held onto the posters.

“Move along now. Good luck”
She said and turned back to her computer.

We followed her words and took the lift to the 10th floor. We saw the door with a label on it which says ‘Mr Sim’. We gave a knock and a familiar face opened the door.

“We're here to share more about the promotional activities coming up?”
I gulped as I spoke.

The one tailing the cafeteria guy…he's my boss?

“Yes, come in”
He invited us into the office, closing the door behind us.

I looked around the room, it was huge. With a comfy looking couch, shelves packed with files, and finally his desk.

However, I was confused to see the back of someone's head on the office chair. 

“Shouldn't it be you there?”
I asked the guy who opened the door.

“Ah, no. You've misunderstood. Sir? Your employees have arrived”
He diverted his attention to the person on the swivel chair.

He spun around, leaning back with a leg crossed over the other. He gave an emotionless reaction to our presence while I'm fighting my life to stop my jaw from dropping.

THE CAFETERIA GUY IS MY BOSS?!?!

“Hello. It's an honour to meet you, s-sir”
Eunseo bowed to him.

She soon hit my arm and I bowed down to..Mr Sim, I guess.

“Mm. Get on with your ideas”
He said.

Eunseo and I walked towards his desk and laid out the posters that we printed. Eunseo started explaining her idea, since she knew it better than me while I just listened to her attentively.

“How about you? Did you participate in the planning of this?”
Mr Sim asked me.

“I designed the poster with her. I tried to make it appealing for customers with my design skills that I've-”
I got cut off by him.

“It's ugly, and who uses posters now? Everyone uses technology. Think before you create such nonsense”
Mr Sim scolded us, but it felt more directed towards me.

Although he has a valid point, he could just tell me nicely.

“The descriptions are fine, but I want you to improve it. Customers tend to go for products which work like magic in their eyes. Redo it
Mr Sim lowered his tone.

“But sir...we spent days thinking about this. Isn't it ridiculous to redo this whole thing?”
I was quite taken aback at his request.

“You think that's ridiculous? This is far from what you think is ridiculous. It's a common occurrence”
Mr Sim straightened his posture.

“It's okay, sir. Well redo it and perfect it. Thank you for your feedback”
Eunseo stepped in.

She grabbed my wrist and exited the office without letting me have another word. Her sunshine self wasn't visible now.

“What was that? He's our boss, you should have just accepted his request”
Eunseo furrowed her eyebrows.

“I'm sorry, it sounded like he was holding a grudge against me because of that day at the cafeteria. Still a jerk”
I rolled my eyes.

“Get a hold of yourself. We're here for work. Set personal problems aside”
Eunseo told me, trying to contain her patience.

“Okay, I'm sorry. We'll come up with something better. Let's go”
We went back to the office.

I'll show you my real skills, Mr Sim.