Chapter Four: Safe

~Xavier~

I sit at my desk for the last period of the day waiting for students to come in.

It's been two days since I have spoken to her. Aurora. I want so badly just to talk to her but she is focused on ignoring me and I don't know why. I have been watching her at school. Making sure no one is bothering her. It wasn't a difficult task though. No one ever looks at her. I am shocked, to be honest. She is so beautiful and sweet. How can she not have any friends?

I am brought out of my thoughts when I hear people entering the room.

I am not a fan of this substitute shit but I will do anything to see Aurora.

My eyes stay glued to the door as I wait for her to come in.

"Good afternoon Xavier..."One of the blonde girls from the class was leaning on the desk with her left arm and her right hand on my shoulder, attempting to flirt. Pathetic.

"You can call me Mr.Blackstone. Sit." I say sternly, brushing her hand off of me. It doesn't feel right to have anyone's touch but Auroras. I barely make eye contact with the blond as my eyes scan the room for Aurora.

The girl looks disappointed as she backs away and sits down at her desk. I don't care for any other women's attention. I have Aurora. She is all I will ever want. Even knowing her for so little time, I already can so for a fact that it will always only be her for me. 

That's when the air shifts, and I can feel her enter the room. She keeps her head down and finds her seat.

For the entire class, I struggle to teach. My mind takes me back to her. She keeps looking out of the window.

As the class ends and the bell rings, I know she will make a run for the door. So I stand up and before she can leave, I ask her to stay behind.

"Aurora."

At this point, everyone has left for the day. It is just us, just how I have been wanting it to be.

~Aurora~

It has been two days. Two days since I have talked to him. Xavier. 

I have to keep him away. For his sake and for mine. Tom has kept hurting me, but not touching me again...not as he did before. 

He makes his threats, but he has only beaten me since that night. I look up at my mirror and lift my shirt, finding my stomach almost completely bruised. I see old bruises and fresh ones. I look down at my wrists. That was my own doing. Cut after cut, I have scared myself. It hurt, but I want it to hurt. I am able to control my own pain. It is the only control I feel I have. I put my shirt back down and head back to class. I can only hide in the girl's locker room for so long.

I only have one more period of the day. I know I will see him. All of me wants to be near him. It hurts to be apart from him even if I barely know him. At least when he is my sub, I can be around him and not feel so guilty for wanting to see him.

Entering the room I see Stacey leaning toward him with her hand on his shoulder. It makes me feel sick and hurt. How could I think he would ever like me? It was a ridiculous thought to begin with.

For the entire class, I keep my eyes focused on the trees, the birds, and the clouds. I try to keep myself distracted from his gaze. I catch him looking at me from time to time. I just am not sure why. 

When the bell rings I gather my things and am going to try to get out quickly. 

I stop when I hear him call my name, asking me to stay behind.

Instead of getting up, I remain in my seat, feeling too nervous to move.

"Aurora."

I am so tempted to look at him. It is hard not to. I just feel this pull. I try to hide deeper into my hoodie.
"Aurora, please...talk to me. You may not think that I do, but believe me, I see you. I can't not see you. In the halls, in class, out there waiting for the bus.."I start to tilt my face to look at him. I miss his eyes. I miss him. How can I though? I barely know him. It is all very confusing.

I give in to myself and face him, looking at him in the eyes, as he is looking right back. He scans my face over. He looks angry. After a moment, his face goes back to being soft and gentle. He reaches up to me, and I flinch. He winces at this and looks sad but goes to do it again. 

He slowly moves to touch my face and I feel these...sparks. They feel good and warm. He caresses my bruise, the one I forgot I even have until this very moment. 

He then closes his eyes as if battling with himself. He looks back at me, using both of his hands to slowly push back the hood to see my whole face. He gently holds my face between his hands. His hands run through my hair a little. It was long, and not taken care of.

Why, why am I letting him touch me? Why is this happening? Why do I want it so badly?

"Beautiful," He says it so confidently. As if to convince me.
I do something so unexpected. Before I can help it, I lean into him, my head on his chest. Until it all hits me. This is not right. I can not do this. He is still some stranger I barely know.  I slowly push him away, turn, and look down, trying not to look at him again. I do not want him to see me cry. I do not want him to see how I look, so bruised and broken.

His hand comes to my chin and turns me to face him. His touch feels so familiar.
Somehow...in this moment, I know one thing. Even if I do not know him at all. I know with him, I feel safe.