Chapter Nine: Fear

~Xavier~

She stayed. Everything in me needed her to stay. To tame this monster in me. After the other day, we haven't spoken much. She keeps to herself in our bedroom. I can tell she wants something but I can't place it.

I stand up from my desk and walk out of my office, making my way to her. As I begin to enter the room the door is already wide open. She hasn't realized I am there yet, so I lean against the door frame with my arms crossed just watching her. How in such little time has she turned me so soft? I think back to how I felt only a few weeks ago. I was so fucking angry all of the time. I had been alone for so long, I thought that was how it would always be. Now, I have her. I am just so afraid she will see the other side of me, and leave. I am dangerous. I am a killer. It may be in a wolf's nature, and in our culture to kill to defend, but I am different. My beast has no end to its thirst for blood when it attacks. Whenever I kill, I always take it too far. For a very long time, I did not care. I would punish anyone who dared threaten our pack or come onto our land. I wouldn't hesitate to hurt them. My own pack while grateful for their safety, became equally as afraid of me. I began to wonder if it was better to be loved or feared. I had settled on fear until I met Aurora.

I watch her as she sits on the ledge of the window seal drawing.

 I wonder what she is drawing in that sketchbook of hers. She closes it every time I get close. Which makes me want to see what it is more. I am not a fan of secrets. I know it is fucking hypocritical seeing as I have my own from her. But that is for her safety. 

Speaking of, I have been in the process of....handing her step-father. The moment Aurora told me what he had done, I had Chase do some research. Tom Hawke, 45-year-old male. Grew up miles away from this town but moved here when Aurora was 5 for unknown reasons. That is when he began his relationship with Davina Daniels, Aurora's mom, Who had passed on Aurora's 6th birthday. October 24th. Chase couldn't find much else on Tom which was troubling. I also asked Chase to track down Aurora's Father. Aurora said he died before she was born, but I wanted to be sure. I needed to be sure, to keep her safe. I am still waiting on Chase to update me on him.

I have a plan. Tonight while Auroras is asleep, I am going to pay a visit to Tom. It is time for me to do what I should have done weeks ago. Kill the fucking bastard. I don't give a shit that he is human. He deserves what is coming to him.

I didn't realize I was spacing out until I feel Aurora's eyes on me.

"Good morning," I say, walking a little closer to her.

"G-good morning Xavier."

I look over to the bed. All of her books were open. I can see her binder and pages from school as well. 

We haven't been sleeping in the same bed yet. It's been really fucking hard not to hold her at night. I can hear her toss and turn from her inability to sleep. The bond makes it hard to feel comfort without your mate near. Especially when you are unmarked. It has taken everything in me not to lay down with her and hold her until she falls asleep. I know she wasn't ready and it still getting used to this....to us.

"I um-" She says but stops and begins fidgeting with her hands.

"What it is? I know you have been wanting to ask me something love."  I say, taking a couple of steps closer. I can tell she is nervous.

"I-I want to um, I want to go t-to school today." She says, keeping her eyes on the ground

I run my hand through my hair.

"I don't like it Aurora," I say, turning away from her for a moment. Thinking of all the things that could go wrong. She is still human, what if a rogue smells my scent on her? What if Tom shows up before I'm able to deal with him? I can't leave her alone I just can't. Why the fuck can't I just keep her here? The possessive side of me wants her to never leave but I know that she needs to go back to school, I know she needs to be a normal human for a while. Dammit.