The Origin

For clarification, it's been about a week since the last chapter.

Starting off, we see Ben waking up in the middle of the night. His body is covered in sweat, and he is taking deep and slow breaths.

Ben: "Another fucking nightmare." He sighs as he rubs his eyes. "Can't I just go one night without one? That's all I ask for."

Ben stops rubbing his eyes and looks over to a separate bed, seeing Sophie sleeping peacefully. Ben smiles at her as he gets out of bed.

Ben: 'I'll let her sleep.' He looks over at the clock. '3 o'clock AM. No point in going back to sleep.'

Ben leaves the room, quietly opening and closing the door, before moving over to the large computer.

Ben: "I need to get to work on some of these projects I've been procrastinating about doing." He types a few keys, bringing up a blueprint of some kind. "The EEMP, AKA the Enhanced Electromagnetic Pulse, blueprint should be first. The device should be strong enough to take out even Galvan tech."

Ben puts the EMP into a simulation to see if it's operational. According to the simulation, there's a warning for the device's wattage.

Ben: "According to this, the wattage is too strong for the device to handle." He types into the computer some more. "I'll have to change a few components for the device to work properly."

For the next half-hour, Ben would continue to work on the computer, finishing the blueprint. Ben then prints out the blueprint, taking it over to his workbench.

Ben: "Okay, now I just have to wait until the computer finishes making the parts necessary." He sits down at his workbench, inspecting his tools. "All of these tools look good. These should work just fine."

Ben leans back in his chair as he waits for the parts to finish printing.

=============================================================================================

Timeskip: 1.5 Hours Later

Ben is currently asleep, leaning back in his chair. The computer then beeps loudly, jolting Ben awake. The sudden sound also makes Ben fall backwards out of his chair.

Ben: "Ow!" He gets back on his feet. "Guess it's work time."

Ben grabs the printed out parts and sets them down onto his workbench.

Ben: "Alright then." He sits down and cracks his fingers. "Time to get some of this work done and over with."

Ben begins to assemble the parts for the EEMP, a device that will need undivided focus. And unfortunately for him, someone just woke up and wants some attention.

Due to the loud noise of the computer, Sophie has suddenly woken up. Instead of trying to go back to sleep, she wrapped herself up in her blanket and came into the main room.

Sophie: "Ben?" She yawns, rubbing her eye. "Why are you up so early? It's 5 o'clock in the morning."

Ben: "I actually woke up two hours ago." He doesn't look away from his work bench. "Though, I have been asleep for about the past hour."

Sophie: "You woke up at 3 o'clock and didn't even bother to go back to bed? When did you go to bed last night?"

Ben: 'Oh boy, here it comes.' He sighs. "I went to bed at.....one o'clock."

Sophie: "WHAT!?"

Ben: "Yeah, I know. I just figured I could get this project done since I woke up so early." He continues to assemble the EEMP. "Besides, I did sleep for another hour a little bit ago."