What it Was Like

Calming down, Luffy looks down in sadness.

"You don't know what it was like. No one was safe. Either there was a war, or the Marines and Teach were destroying everything for control. There were very few places to hide that weren't a danger zone. And even fewer peaceful islands left willing to accept visitors."

Many of the listeners were shocked by this. And some were wondering just how this came to be.

"All of my Nakama were gone, and so was my family. All of my fleet was gone. All I had left were my mates."

At this admission, Luffy curled closer to Marco, Izo, and Thatch. All of whom looked sad for the boy. While others were wondering about the fleet the child spoke of.

"We had just lost my big brother Sabo and my first mate Zoro a week before the big battle. Teach was the one who took them out. He's also the one who caught my big brother ace."

A couple of the commanders were glaring at the ground in anger and helplessness. Mad that they couldn't stop something like this from happening.

"The big battle was with the marines. There were so many strong marines. And I was fighting Akainu while my mates fought the light bastard and the blind gravity man."

Thatch, Vista and Jozu all chuckled at the nickname Luffy gave to Borsalino. Whitebeard himself was curious about the blind gravity user as he sounded interesting.

"We kept taking damage with all the shots the other strong fighters were able to land. We were slowing down.... we were losing."

Marco curled even more around his mate. Knowing exactly what was coming. Because it's something he does a lot for his brothers. Only this time, he didn't make it by the sound of it. Many of the commanders shoot Marco concerned looks because they also know what Marco is thinking.

"My guard slipped....and I took a hit near a vital. Law was the first to get to me. Got us to Marco and then got us to the forest. It bought us little time, but for them, it was enough. Law found and treated the wound, and Marco healed what he could. After that, it was a struggle getting away, but they got us to the boat we've been using."

Luffy remembers exactly what happens next. Causing tears to stream down his face. Everyone was getting concerned for the boy when he stopped talking.

"They made me promise to keep going, to swear on my crew that I won't give up. Knowing that I'll never break my promises."

He remembers how tears were streaming down his face as he sailed away from the island and his mates. Knowing he will never see them again.