Chapter 12: Goodbyes

The days went by and I continued to question Stelian. Mom warmed back up to me and she was really friendly.

Actually everyone was including Armarius, Keiko, and Taia were friendly and nice to me. I'm glad Alyssa and Vaiden acted the same towards me.

At around midnight, I entered the main room with Alyssa and Vaiden where dad was.

"Ah, Raven you ready to interrogate him again?" Dad asked."I need you to ask him what cities the other Vampire Council members are located. Once we know, we'll begin our journey."

We're going to leave?! My heart ached at the thought of never seeing Stelian again.

"Yes." I merely said."But this is getting risky, he almost heard you in my earpiece."

Dad sighed."You're my daughter, but what you did was low."

"And I'm asking you to trust me now, as your daughter and more importantly as a Van Helsing." I replied.

He thought for a moment before answering."Very well, you may go on your own and I will not be listening in. I trust you, Raven. You better not let me down."

I smiled."Don't worry dad. You can trust me."

"Very well." Dad said."You may go."

With that I went to the weaponry room and grabbed a gun. I decided to leave the crossbow this time.

I then made by way above ground and I soon reached the Dark Woods. I saw Stelian and ran up to him. He gave me a hug and once we pulled away, our lips met.

I missed his touch. It's sad to think I'll be leaving soon. With that I pulled away and mustered the courage to speak.

"We shouldn't be together." I said.

"Why not?" He asked."We both love each other."

"Yes, but our families can't tolerate the other." I explained."A Van Helsing can't be with a vampire."

Tears were in his eyes."Rav, don't say that. We can work this out. I love you."

My heart tightened at his words. He was making this harder than it needed to be.

"How can we work this out?" I asked."My dad already knows that I've been seeing you."

"How?"

"He has big screens in one of the rooms and he can, through my watch track me down as well." I explained."You need to help me."

"What can I do?" He asked.

I had to choose right now and here. What will I choose? Family or love?

"I-well..." I trailed off.

I was trying to search for the right words. Stelian seemed worried and he held my hands in his.

"Love what is it?" He asked."Tell me."

I can't tell him exactly what my dad is trying to do. It might be too much of a risk.

"I'm going away for a while." I managed to say.

"Why?" He asked quite shocked.

"My dad thinks it's for the best." I explained.

"That's horrible." He replied.

"Yeah, he always thinks a war might be in the possible future like your father." I said.

"Oh really? That's funny, he thinks like my father." Stelian said."And yeah, we just went with my father just went to Caligo to talk to the council members concerning of a possible war."

We? Wait?! There is vampire council members there?!

"Caligo?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's in what you humans called France." He explained.

"And you said there were members there?" I asked.

"Just one." He replied."His name is Caligo Noir. In total there are eight members."

Eight members? This is quite useful information.

I chuckled."You vampires sure love dark names."

He cracked a smile."Yes, well we do tend to lean that way. It's what we like."

"By the way, why do you have so many questions about the vampire council?" He then asked.

I tried to stay as calm as I possibly could as I replied.

"I was merely curious. It intrigues me."

I then lowered my head and my eyes found something interesting. On Stelian's right wrist there was a tattoo of a dragon.

"Nice tattoo." I said changing the subject.

"Oh." He said covering his wrist."It's nothing really."

We were in complete silence for a while, until Stelian spoke up.

"I'm going to miss you." He said.

"So am I." I replied.

"Do you have to leave?" He whined.

Please don't make this difficult, Stelian.

"I'm sorry, I have to." I said."But I'll come back as soon as possible."

"Then, I shall be waiting for you my love." He said.

With that he leaned in and we shared one last passionate kiss before pulling away. 

I then reluctantly left him there as I walked back to the Colony. My heart ached with every step I took away from him. I must be strong, Raven.

With that I mustered the courage to continue walking towards the Colony.