No Place Like Home

The next few days seemed to fly by in a blur of ecstasy. As far as Draco was concerned there wasn’t enough time in the world that he could spend here. As his last day came to a close he could feel the cold tendrils starting to latch onto him again. He tried to resist them but he could feel the anxiety building up inside him.

“Are you sure you have to leave? You’re welcome to stay here you know.” Hermione said as they lay together in his guest bed on that last night.

“I’m not staying. I’m going home.” He said sternly.

He couldn’t just look away forever; he had to go back at some point, right? Besides, if he wasn’t there, Pansy would perform a curse to turn him inside out.

“Are you sure?”

“Maybe I want to go back, alright?” He snapped.

She didn’t say anything back, she could feel the tension building inside him and she knew that when he felt it his anger started to become more pronounced. She felt him release a sigh.

“Sorry.” He mumbled.

She nodded into his chest before he sat up and ran a hand through his hair anxiously.

“Maybe we could just try and forget.” She said softly.

He scoffed. “Yeah, that sounds possible.”

“Even if it’s just for one night we could-”

“What? We could pretend like I don’t have to go back to a miserably empty house and you don’t have a perfect life?” He said coldly.

“I don’t have a perfect life.” He scoffed again and she stood up and walked out of the room without another word.

Sometimes he was just so infuriating. She stormed into her bedroom and closed the door quite loudly. Her parents were already in bed so odds are they wouldn’t have noticed that.

Draco tightened his fingers around the bed sheets. He didn’t mean to get her upset; he just seems to have that effect on her sometimes. He breathed deeply for a minute before heading out to knock quietly on her door.

“Hermione, I didn’t mean it.” He pressed his fingers against the door. “I’m sorry.”

She opened the door a little and looked out. “You know you really have to learn to control the way you speak to people when you’re angry. It’s all good and well to feel like that sometimes but you can't go around making other people feel bad about themselves. It’s not always their fault.” She said.

“I know.” He sighed, still trying to calm himself down. “Can I come in then?”

“No, we’ll go to your room.” She tried to squeeze out of the small space between the door and the frame but Draco penned her in and tilted his head a little.