Working Together

Hermione spent her afternoon reading in the library, her trip to Hogsmeade being completely ruined by Pansy and her foul disposition towards anything that even looked at Draco sideways. Hermione swore that she saw something in his eyes when she left, but he made no effort to follow her or silence Pansy. She sighed and marked the page of her book and put it into her bag.

It was only when she had finished reading and started to head back to the common room did she realise that she was freezing. Her mind instantly relayed back to the prefect’s bathroom. No, she thought, I won’t go back there. She was too annoyed to be confronted with those memories again. But why should she restrict herself because of Draco? She quickly headed to the bathroom where she turned the sign to read ‘occupied’ and scurried off to get her towel and robe.

Draco had escaped from the clutches of Pansy once they returned to the castle. Her hands were constantly tugging at him and forcing him onto her, something that made him cringe. He could never feel anything with her; she was the same as the others. She was always trying to control him and force him into her way of thinking. Everyone used him as their pawn in a giant chess game, a pathetic piece that just enabled their game to move forward. He was sacrificed for the slightest of things and he was never to make his own choices. He sighed and leant against the stone castle wall, deep in thought. As he looked down the long corridor he saw Hermione walk past the opening of the hall. His blood began to pump faster and he walked to where she had been just in time to see her flick the sign over on the door of the prefect’s bathroom and hurry down the hall.

She must be coming back, Draco thought. He opened the door to the bathroom and headed inside to wait for her return. He waved his wand to run the taps and his himself just out of plain sight behind a statue in the corner of the room.

The longer he waited the more he felt like this was a bad idea. She had been so cold with him earlier. Then again, he had been cold for seven years. Seven years that she knew of at least. He had reason to be, he was bitter; he still is. This was a terrible idea, he thought. What was he supposed to do now? When she walked through those doors what would he do? He closed his eyes and clenched his fists in frustration. He stepped out from behind the statue but when he heard the doors click he leapt back into his hiding place.

She walked into the room carrying her bathrobe and towel and stopped to eye the full bath. She looked perplexed but seemed to shrug it off. She unzipped her jacket and let it fall to the floor. She pulled her jumper over her head revealing a tight white singlet. She kicked off her shoes and threw her socks onto the floor.

Knowing he couldn’t hide an longer, Draco took an unwilling step forward.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa Granger! At least take me out for a butterbeer first!” he laughed as she jumped and turned around to face him.

“Must you keep doing that?! What do you want now?” She looked at him with what seemed to be impatience but Draco could swear that he saw a glimmer of excitement in her eyes.

“I just thought I would take another bath.”