Moving On

He caught sight of her greasy dark hair and pug face as she walked arrogantly off the train. She squinted slightly, not a very attractive look, he thought. She looked straight at him and he gave a small gesture that could have been seen as a wave. It was more of an acknowledgement that he was there. Her lips curled into a smiled and he was about to make a smart remark when she had her wand pointed at him.

“Apugno!” She said in a sugary sweet voice.

Without warning he was being assaulted by three tiny but vicious birds. He covered his face and cowered but he could still feel them nipping at his skin and blood trickle down his cheeks from where they caught him. He yelled out in pain and felt himself being beaten to the very last of his will, there wasn’t much more he could stand. Would it ever end? A better question is how much more can he take. His cries soon turned to whimpers as he cowered by a wall and waited for the assault to finish.

Soon enough he heard the birds flutter away. He looked up to see Pansy and the first thing he saw was her fist.

She was small, but she sure was violent. His whole face ached in pain and he was in no mood to fight. He was defeated.

“You know what that was for. Next time you better meet me on the train.” She grabbed his sleeve and pulled him up.

“Next time I won't meet you at the platform.” He hissed.

She snorted. “At least you learnt your lesson.”

“Did you have a good Christmas?” He asked through gritted teeth.

“I gained four pounds and had to spend it without my father or uncles. It was a hoot.” She shoved a bag at him and he snatched it from her. “You’re lucky your father’s a coward or else he’d be stuck in the same place.”

Draco looked down at his scuffling feet and ignored her. He wasn’t a coward, he wanted to say. He was so torn between defending him, which he had no desire to do, and defending his choice, which was something Draco would never have done alone.

Eventually they made their way to the castle and he carried her things down to the dungeons. He dropped them at the foot of the stairs before her dormitory.

“Aren’t you going to bring them up?” He made a grunting sound and carried them up to dump them by the foot of her bed before pushing past her and back down to the stone fireplace.

It was so different in this common room to the Gryffindor’s. He had never realised before just how cold and bland the Slytherin rooms were until he… until her…

He realised that he was clenching his fists and squeezing his eyes shut so tightly that he hoped it would keep out all of his memories.

He had to keep reminding himself of the reason that he was alone. It was because she had people, she was someone and he wasn’t worthy of someone like her. The things he did… he deserved someone like Pansy. Someone who punished him when he defied them or hurt them rather than trying to console him. Why did she do that? The amount of times that he was rude or arrogant, or cruel… She held him like it was she who had inflicted the wounds.